1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone shoot a BPS ??????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xtj, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xtj

xtj Guest

Just curious anyone shoot a BPS if so how do you like it?????

Thanks JKG

2. xtj

xtj Guest

3. xtj

xtj Guest

ttt

4. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I think you have your answer. I have never seen anyone shooting one at a ATA event.

Tom Strunk

5. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I shot one for a while. Shot a 95 as C class shooter at my home club. That was my last registered shoot, so I sold the gun.

The guns are built like tanks. If you get the one with the single and repeating switch, the loading is easy.

I bought it for a bargain, $400 LNIB on Gunbroker including shipping. Sold it for what I paid. I've never seen one as cheap, and always regretted selling it.

Danny

PS - I just looked up the record. I bought the BPS, shot 150 rounds in practice. Went to a neighboring club for ATA singles, and decided to try one-eye shooting. Shot 91. Then the next shoot was at my home club and shot 95. It sure wasn't the gun missing those birds.

6. JimC

JimC Member

I have 4 of them. Hunters only, not target guns. I like them and I've had "O" problems with them.
    JimC

7. roger8918

roger8918 Member

I have 2 youth trap models that we use as club guns for our team. Built like a tank and great for lefties. Would like to install recoil/LOP adjusters on them this winter.

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I have had three trap grades bps. Two were made years ago with fixed full chokes. These guns were smoke poles, hit targets with absolute authority. I have never seen a gun break targets like one of the barrels I had. I am left handed and I really liked the bottom ejection. Took me a couple rounds to get use to loading it. I had one of the new ones too and the new stocks seem to fit just about everyone. The gun is really made well. Down side is two fold. Suggest NEVER take the trigger out as it took me 3 days and 2 people to get it back in. The other problem is that most gun dealers won't take the gun in on trade as most do not like bottom ejection guns and they feel they are hard to sell. I was a Remington 870 collector, still shoot an 870TB. If you can find an older model used bps trap grade for under $300.00 buy it. My two cost me $265.00 each at a gun shop about 2 years ago. The choke tubes also hit targets with authority. The stocks on the older guns are high monte carlo stocks, my two guns shot higher than my 870's. The new bps stock were lower and very comfortable. Between the bps and the 870, the nod goes to the 870. Reason easy resale, parts and barrels more available. But if the price is right buy it, it will last a life time just like the 870.
    Steve Balistreri

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

xtj:

I've had one for 20 years and like it. The top safety and bottom feed/eject make them popular with southpaws.

JimC is correct. These are hunters. They're ok for casual and occasional target shooting but they're not serious target guns.

On the downside:

1. The pump mechanism is STIFF compared to a Model 12, Remington 870 or an Ithaca 37.

2. There isn't much reason to remove the trigger assembly. However, if you do (like to give the gun a thorough internal cleaning) the trigger is a pita to reinstall.

sissy

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Lots of disscusion on the BPS over on ShotGun World's Trapshooting forum, they even have a video on how to load it.

Wayne

11. psfive

psfive Member

I'm left handed. The bottom ejection is really nice. I have a short barrel (26"). Works really fine on doves with a improved cylinder choke. I also like the safety on the heel of the reciever. Mine had a finish problem the blueing turned brown. Still shoots fine just not pretty. Paul in Nebraska

12. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

Rick, Had yours since the"1080's"? Was that BC or AD? Did you ever shoot on a squad with a guy named Jesus? If so, he was probably the Guy that didn't miss! j/k NSG

13. trappypappy

trappypappy Member

I have a BPS Trap model and I can say it is a fine trap gun.

Easy to load for singles and handicap with the selector set to "S".

The only problem - I developed a flinch (old age) and could not find a release
    trigger for the Browning BPS.

Balance is good and the weight means less recoil for a man my size.
    It's not a fancy, high price smoke stick and yes,I have shot it in ATA shoots.

I think I paid about seven hundred bucks for it -NIB and it is well worth that price - mines Not For Sale!
    If the flinches or gyps go away - Out comes the Browning BPS to smoke'em.

Just my three cents worth.

Trappypappy

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Great shooters for the money. They are just a trigger job away from being near perfect. They are the softest shooting slide gun I've ever shot.

As far as the trigger and taking it out, I can take one out and reinstall it nearly as fast as I can an 870. There is a trick to it, and anyone with half a brain can figure it out in no time.

You can slick one up nicly with a little stos on the action bars.

ss

15. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

the answer
    [​IMG]

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

You don't need that. The shell lifter will hold the action bars in place. Just take a look and you'll seee what I mean.

ss

17. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Here's the video on loading for Trap.

The BPS is a great Trap gun. They're right and it lacks a little of the refinement that the 870 Wingmaster CT has, but it's every bit as good a gun.

You don't see them much because most Trap shooters prefer a break open gun.

18. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Shortshucker:
    "As far as the trigger and taking it out, I can take one out and reinstall it nearly as fast as I can an 870. There is a trick to it, and anyone with half a brain can figure it out in no time".

I would love to see how you reinstall a BPS trigger nearly as fast as an 870. I believe what you are saying, but I found it very difficult along with two gunsmiths. I wish you could post a video on U tube showing this. I would love to learn how. Most shooters find it very difficult, Please teach us.
    Steve Balistreri

19. trapman69

trapman69 Member

Does anyone make a release trigger for these? Thanks

20. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I've been shooting registered since 1975 and have never seen
    anyone shooting a BPS in registered trap. I have seen them
    in league shoots usually equipped with a sling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.