1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone shoot a 391 Teknys Gold?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shot410ga, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Thinking about buying a 391 Teknys Gold Target. I would like some owners to tell me what they think about this gun. Especially, recoil and barrel jump. I've read where they have a built in recoil device in the stock. Does it work? What do you think about the gun?

2. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I have one and I have not gotten familiar with it yet!!The recoil is not as good as my 1100! They are a PITA to clean!(compared to my BT-99)I have an additional weight on the forend to balance the gun.I have no recoil device on the 1100 and it shoots softer.If you want it so bad buy the Urika trap and add the recoil device to the gun.Save some $$$.That will make it a 391 - the fancy FAKE wood!! Good luck. PJ

3. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Shot410ga - I owned a Teknys 391 Gold Target for exactly four weeks. It pointed good, had low recoil, and fit very well. It cycled perfectly after the first five shots, and never failed afterward. However, it just wasn't my gun. I never felt like I really owned it. I averaged 21-23 with it, but never got comfortable with it. It had plenty of bells and whistles - extra rib, five chokes, extra recoil pad, different weight end-caps, etc. Like any multipurpose gun, it probably has enough compromises to keep it from excelling at any one task. Recoil was very mild. The recoil reducer really did a great job. It seemed a little front-heavy, even with the lightest end-cap weight. The other weakness is the adjustable comb. Its proprietary design doesn't use round posts as do most adjustable combs. I was advised not to get real frisky with the hex key wrench. Basic adjustments could cause the comb to crack. I ended up making shims so the comb would hold its adjustment. If you don't use something, the comb will work its way out of adjustment because of recoil.

At the end of four weeks, I took it back to Jaqua's, and traded it for a used Perazzi MT-6 under-single. It felt good the first time I shouldered it. It has an adjustable recoilt pad assembly, and an adjustable comb. The first time I used the gun I shot 23-23-25 (first 25). I'm averaging 22-24 with it now, and have had three more 25's.

Since then, I've added a BT-99 Plus to the arsenal, but I still like the Perazzi best of the two.

It's almost like the Beretta didn't have a personality.

Best,
    Dennis

4. Hooked

Hooked Member

I have owned 3 391's (2 trap models and 1 parallel target). They've all pointed and moved well and recoil was minimal. Unfortunately, they all shot very high (like 110%) and could never get them to shoot low enough for me. I even tried the field shims to get more drop on the comb, but still no luck. Must just be the way they fit me. Otherwise, they're decent guns.

Brian

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Gave up on one due to functioning problems. I only shoot 1 oz loads so that may have contributed. Went back to old reliable, a 390.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback.

7. rscotty

rscotty TS Member

I shoot one and love it, but I believe that its because it fits me particularly well. It comes up beautifully and shoots where I'm looking. It patterns very well and if I miss, it isn't the gun's fault.

I've got around 2000 rounds through it and have had no problems whatsoever.

My $.02 worth,
    Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.