1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone shoot a 308 marlin express

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by nogunracks, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nogunracks

nogunracks TS Member

got a 308 marlin express for a christmas gift i know nothing about the caliber any info would be helpful thank you

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

ngr,

Just a soft polymer tipped 308 so it can be used in a tube magazine.

They shoot well enough, but dont expect it to shoot as well as a good bolt gun.

Sounds as if you are having a great Christmas. Enjoy the new toy!

ss

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

A great big game rifle none the less...go to www.marlinowners.com

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    No matter how you slice it it's a big step forward from the 30-30.

What I don't get, though, is why didn't Marlin simply use the already existing .307 Winchester, which is merely a rimmed .308, with ballistics very similar to the .308?

My son is interested in one in stainless steel for bad weather hunting. (It only rains once a year in Oregon - September through June.)

The new cartridge that caught my eye is the .338 Marlin Express. It is NOT the .309 Marlin Express necked up, but an entirely different case (it's actually the .376 Steyr necked down to .338). With 200 gr bullets it actually slightly exceeds the .30-06. For those who fondly remember the old .348 Winchester, here's your modern equivalent. This is an elk and bear cartridge.

Wikipedia has a comparison table of these cartridges (click the link).

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Brian:

I still have a pair of Marlin 336's in .35 Remington. This was my favorite short range deer cartridge when I was an active deer hunter (1978 - 2006). I also got three other hunters in our group to use the .35 Remington in the 336 Marlin rifle. Combined, we took many a deer up to 210 pounds dressed out weight.

As to the use of the .307 Winchester in the Marlin action, I think that the issue is that the Marlin 336 action was designed for cartridges not to exceed 40,000 cup. I believe that the .307 Winchester is above 50,000 cup.

At any rate, I took deer up to about 135 yards with the .35 Remington and only once had to use a second shot. That deer took two hits in the heart (a tad too low I think) and still staggered 50 yards to a ditch. He left a blood trail that to this day I still find hard to believe.

For a quick follow-up shot, it is hard to beat a lever gun.

If I was still deer hunting, I could be tempted to buy a .338 Marlin Express.

Ed Ward

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Have not tried it but have shot some of the leverolution bullets out of a 30-30. Ballistics are much better than the factory stuff (I got these from Midway and reloaded some once fired brass)...160 grain bullets at around 2350 fps through my chrono and even with the much maligned microgroove barrel, was getting two inches from an old 336. (It has put factory Rem 170s into one and a half but much slower).

I think the thing should flat out sing, the new one in express, that is.

7. setter

setter Member

Try this, write-up by Chuck Hawks.

8. setter

setter Member

Well - I got to reading about the .308 Marlin and found this interesting.

Takes a bit of a wait to load the above site.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Ed, my grandfather hunted blacktails for decades using the 35 Rem, first with a Remington Model 14 pump, then with a Marlin 336A (the rifle version, not carbine) he bought in the 1950s. He usually shot only two shots a year. One to verify sight-in, the other to take a deer. Thus a box of ammo lasted him a decade. One year he had to shoot a deer twice, and it upset him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.