1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone running Win Super Handicap powder?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Avaldes, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Is anyone using Winchester Super Handicap powder? Looking at the loading data it seems like a pretty flexible powder. When I have shot silver bullets they run pretty clean compared to Green Dot at similar levels. I am curious to hear if the canister version is as clean as the OEM.

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

What are the bad side effects of the GREEN DOT powder? It is a little bit of residue in the Bbl, it does not build up, and Bbl is the same shot after shot.

You should try PROMO hell of a lot cheaper 8 Lb keg less than $80 this is one of the best selling powders on the market.

I am on at least my 8th keg of it, works very good on all trap loads.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. locdoc

locdoc Member

If you are trying to duplicate a 1250 velocity then Promo IS NOT the powder you should use. Too fast a burn rate and too high a pressure at that velocity.

I have several regular customers using either WSH or TiteGroup for their handicap loads. ymmv

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

The problem with Green Dot is cold weather bloopers. I've moved on to American Select @20gr for caps and 19.3 for singles and it works well. Thing is, you go to the trouble of working up the perfect load, only to have it let you down in the winter. And, as Doug has pointed out, American Select being a fairly fast powder, 20gr is about at the top of the envelope. I haven't heard much about Win's Super Hcp and am interested to learn how you like it. Also, while we're at it, has anyone tried any single based powders, if they exist for trap applications?

best...mike

5. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

What Dr Longshot said.however I do use super hcp in the winter for ditch chickens. put 19.8 gr under a wj-12-rpl and a fed 209a primer/#6 shot and you have about as good a load as you can get.I try to use Alliant powder because its made in the USA.and its lower cost than winchester.

6. Ken Brandt

Ken Brandt Active Member

Avaldes;

I have been using WSH for the last 2 years, approximately 16 lbs. I have had very good luck in duplicating factory loads. What I have noticed is that both the reload's and factory's kick like hell and just crush handicap targets. I have loaded both 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz loads. Both equally effective.

A little side bar; I loaded some GM hulls with 20.5 grains, 12S0 wad, win 209 primer and 1 1/8 8's for one of the softest shooting loads I have ever shot. It works great at the 16 yd line.

Hope this answer's your question.

Ken Brandt

7. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I use it like it a lot. I load 19.8 grains with 1.125 of 7.5 second shot doubles and 27 yard caps works well.

8. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Does it meeter/flow well in your loader, so far as consistant drops are concerned. It's a Double Based ball powder, right?

best...mike

9. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

At lower pressure loadings...like 1200 ft/sec does it still burn clean? Silver bullets burn clean but are pretty stiff on the recoil. I tend to load around 1200 ft/sec and Titegroup still burns clean. I load Nitro 27 clones just going a touch slower. Was wondering if this is similar to Titegroup or if it gets chunky at lower pressures.

And is it suitable with a TGT12 or more bulky and need a Fig8?

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Works fine..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.