1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone remember Win AA 452?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dutchboy, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dutchboy

Dutchboy TS Member

Ended up with about 20 lbs of AA452, which, I figure, has to be about 30 years old. Tried to load it with some 7/8's oz loads, and learned a lesson in "how to clean a barrel".

Anyone have any experience with this stuff, with a useable load? Something in a 7/8th's oz or 1 oz preferably. Does it just take pressure to clean it up, or am I just burning 20 lbs or charcoal? TIA, Dutch.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

How much did you load in the 7/8 oz? It seemed I loaded 20 gr in the AA hull with one ounce, Win primer and pink wad. What type of hull, wad and primer?

I thought 452AA was among the finest powders of its time. FANTASTIC in 45 Auto as well.

3. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

It works very well with 1 1/8 oz loads. Not sure it is intended for light loads. Excellent powder.

Joe Woods/Ontario

4. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I found a March 1980 set of tables on my reloading bench. It shows a AA compression formed hull, Winchester primer, 20.5 gr of 452AA, WAA12 wad with 20 ga. .135 card filler gives 1200 fps @ 9,500 LUP's. Others will speculate on what other wad/hull to use here, I am sure. Ron Renouf

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I don't believe anyone used 7/8oz. loads 25 years ago. I shot a ton of that stuff but it had a reputation as being very sifty in some reloaders. I've had some machines come in for repairs that were covered with it. Very accurate drops and nice shooting powder in 1 1/8oz. loads!!

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Great stuff, but at its best in 1 & 1/8 oz loads. I shot my best scores with it in Gold Medal hulls. The new powders are probably better for clean, but I have fond memories of 452.

HM

7. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

Best 45 powder I ever used,soft recoil,very accurate
    GAZ

8. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

I remember too. Nice powder, flowed good and broke targets with it. Pretty dirty too. Also used 473. Kinda like 800X or PB if I remember correctly.

Mike

9. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

That seems like an awful lot of powder. In 1980 the max. powder load they recommend there is 22 gr. giving 1250 fps @10,500LUP's. I would be careful going over that level. IMHO Ron

Additional info: They did show a 25 gr. load using the old polyformed hull. Big difference in hulls. I am still addressing 1 ounce loads here.

10. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Remember it from my early skeet days..when everyone shot Remington 1100's.
    Powder would run from both ends of the barrel. I never remember it being clean burning, but then, no one seemed to care either. I still have several lbs of it I use for .45ACP bowling pin loads. Things sure were a lot simpler then.

PG

11. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

14th edition shows 19.0 of 452/SL wad in a AA, W209, 7/8 at 1210 @ 7100 LUP.

12. BT99er

BT99er TS Member

23.0 grains 452AA, winchester 209 primer, winchester AA12F1 wad, 1oz. shot, in old style AA case shows 1290 fps and 8,900 lup.

13. arthalony

arthalony Member

Sir Mec has some loading data for 452. I have loaded a ton of it over the years and the loading data for AA plus is the same and they no longer make that eather. I loaded 20 Gr of 452 for my 11/8 oz loads that was 1200 FPS and the same for the 1 oz loads in the old AA hull it was the same in a sts hull. I never loaded anything in a 11/8 oz load in a STS hull sure was great with no recoil. I will look for some old reloading data if I find it I will send it to you. Please send me your E-Mail address.

Dan

14. Dutchboy

Dutchboy TS Member

Thanks for all the feedback, gents. I've only reloaded shotshells for about five years, and therefore been weaned on stuff like Clays, Titewad and Red Dot. This stuff is a bit different.

I've got the data (including the original WW pamphlet with the only 7/8th's load, as well as Lyman's first (which doesn't list ANY 7/8ths loads at all). Plus a copy of "reloading for shotgunners", which is probably the best resource for data.

The trial 7/8 ths load was 20 grains under a DR-orange wad in a Fed hull, and it was a pleasant, if dirty, load. Looks like I just need to up the charge a little, but it's Winter, and I was a little concerned with the "reverse temp sensitivity" of this powder in one report I stumbled across. Especially since it was 14 degrees when we were shooting on Saturday (remind me again why we think this is "fun"?).

Looks like 21 - 22 grains is more like it, should I want to try to stay with 7/8ths, but what you guys are saying is that I shouldn't be looking for my barrel to appear like it does after a heavy 1 1/8th oz load with Clays.....

Oh, and shooting five rounds of 1 oz loads with Titewad is a good way to clean a dirty barrel... ;) FWIW, Dutch.

15. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I think you will find that it was the DRXXL Orange wad. I haven't had any success with that wad with any powder. I bought 5000 of them and can't wait to shoot them up. I never used 452, but used 4 or 5 kegs of AA473. I thought it was great powder. Ben

16. Dutchboy

Dutchboy TS Member

Hmm...... that wad with 21 grains of American Select just eats targets. As a matter of fact, I've used it for hunting, and had to open up chokes to keep from shredding sharptails (7/8ths oz of 7's). FWIW, Dutch.

17. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

farmerD, a friend recently hooked me up with a 10 lb. keg of 473AA seems to be a very fine grain powder. I just loaded a batch of 25 Rem hulls w209 primer WAA12 wads 1 1/8 of #8 and 23.5 grains of powder. Busted the clays fine recoil ok but left the barrel really dirty. Any suggestion's other than clean the gun Thank you or anyone else with knowledge of this older powder. Jay

18. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

Thorsdad, We actually did this. Last couple of shots were with 700X. Pretty clean then.

Mike

19. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Thorsdad,
    I used it in the old style Win AA with the exact components that you use and I agree smashed clays, but dirty. I found that using 23 grs. with the Champion II Federal hull and Fed 209 primers cleaned it up considerably. I never worried to much about the residue in my barrel, it seemed to clean up on the next shot. Mdl 12 Winchester. Ben

20. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

SHOOTING COACH: It was a sad day when Winchester ceased making it.

It was my most favorite powder of all time... well in the last 20+ years, anyway. Now I use their WST, but don't like ti as well.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.