1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone reloading Federal Gold Metal 28 gauge?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bubbaw, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

I'm looking to take advantage of the Federal Gold Metal rebate program and buy some 28 gauge target loads. I usually shoot AA's in 28 gauge and sell the hulls. Does anyone reload the 28 gauge gold metal hulls and if so, what do they sell for? I appreciate you input,

William

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

They are not very popular for reloading. I would guess they relaod about the same number of times as Remington. You will love the breaks that these factory loads provide. IMHO Ron

3. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

I bought 3 flats of the Federal 28's from a non skeet shooter (good deal) and have reloaded them several times. They are not nearly as durable as AA's and you have to use Federal wads to get satisfactory results. Some have separated in front of the brass and others have started leaking around the primer after 2 or 3 reloads. I wouldn't pay anyone for more of the once fired. RM

4. Erik W

Erik W Member

Nice factory load, but most shooters in my area don't save them for reloading.

5. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

I did reload them, stopped reloading them, tried reloading them again, and now buy my 28g from the factory. And, no, I don't reload .410's either.....

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Works great.

Use the Federal 28S1 Wad.

I use Universal Clays and Winchester primers.

7. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

One and out. Shoot em and jack em..

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

William, Winchester HS AA's are the very best hull to reload in the two smaller guages. Yes, Remington has a following and both are used around my area. No one reloads the Federals around here period (3 smaller gauges). Add to the fact that you have to use factory wads at $125 a case instead of the clones and you can keep them. Winchester AA's have the rebate too. Good luck and break em all JEff

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

GM 28's load well with Unique and the old style WAA28 style wad.

If they are free, free is good. I loaded barrels of these hulls. They are good for about 4 loads.

Don't worry about hull snobs. Let them pay through the nose for their AA hulls.

10. fly

fly Active Member

Federal 28's suck for reloading.

11. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

From what I've seen, the only "premium" hull from Federal is their Gold Medal in 12 gauge only. The Gold Medal 20, 28, and .410's are merely the Top Gun type hull. The 3 smaller gauges have the same fiber base wad as the Top Guns do, but with a brass head rather than steel. ....Rick

12. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Another point to consider, the Fed hulls are longer than the Win hulls and your reloader must be reset to use them. A major PITA

13. Boxer

Boxer TS Member

I've had great success with the fed's 15.1gr Longshot, Red duster wad, Federal primer 1,220 fps with good patterns 8 reloads. Just a word of caution use a bore light to check the basewad b4 each reloading, I've never had a problem with one but that is an achilles heel with that shell

14. iaskeetshooter

iaskeetshooter TS Member

I have been loading Federal and Estate hulls for 20 years. I use Unique powder and the blue 28ga Pattern Control (PC) wad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wads to reload federal goldmetal 28 gauge