1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone reloading estates

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by laura!, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laura!

laura! Member

I was thinking about trying estate hulls to reload & toss for doubles. Anyone have any experience with these hulls and if they're worth fooling with? Any 1oz recipes would be appreciated.

Laura

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I load them with 1 1/8 oz shot, Claybuster wad CBWCB211812, 18.4 gr Red Dot, Fiocci primer. They look and perform like new shells.

3. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Laura.....I have been reloading Estates for doubles for about a year. I had one mixed in with some AA's and I didn't catch it until it was under the wad guide. I replaced the AA wad with a 12SO and when it dropped out you'd swear it was a factory shell. So...18.5 grains of Solo 1000, Federal 209A primer, 12SO wad and 1 oz of shot and they work great for singles or doubles. Just don't load them more than once, but you don't have to, they're all over the place. If you use Clays, 17.5 grains will do just as well.

Jere Cossaboom

4. dsid01

dsid01 TS Member

I reload them with a 12so wad 16.5gr nitro 100 and 1 oz shot with federal primer smoke targets from the 16

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

laura!:

I've loaded Estates.

They are manufactured by Federal. Alliant Powder considers them the same for reloading purposes as the cheapie Federals, i.e. Top Guns/Wally World. You can find very limited one ounce data in Alliant's on-line guide in the section 'Fed. Hi Power Plastic Shells with Rolled Paper Base Wad'. The few listed loads are IMO unnecessarily hot at 1290 fps.

If you are willing to use Red Dot and 12SO wads, Ben Amonette at Alliant can give you some slower unpublished suggestions. He can be contacted at ben.amonette@atk.com

Between the steel heads and mediocre/inconsistent crimps, I've concluded Estates and Top Guns are more trouble than they're worth.

Unless your heart is just really set on the Estates, I'd suggest using Gun Clubs instead. They load easier nad crimp much better. And... there is much more available data (Alliant and Hodgdon, for example) at different velocities and using a wide variety of common components.

sissy

6. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I use the Estate Hull, Claybuster clone of WW Grey wad, 7/8 ounce of 8.5's, 18.0 grs. of Promo(Red Dot) and a Rio or PMC primer. Great 1st shot at doubles and no perceived recoil. Works great for second shot also if you are quick. Cheap to load as well. Finished shell looks factory. JRM

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

perga1- You are loading a tapered wad into a case with straight walls. How can that result in consistent loads?

Pat Ireland

8. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Pat, Maybe I just can't tell but they all seem fine to me. JRM

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

laura!

You have a private message.

sissy

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Federal recipes work, including Gold Medal.

Tapered wads seem to work, But I use 12SO.

HM

11. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Don't, 2 piece hull! I shot on a squad when a shooter blew his barrel shooting an estate reload! He blamed Beretta( new gun) sent it back to Beretta USA and they said it was from reload and would not accept responsibility!

After that, no one @ my club reloads them!

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

All Federal, Fiocchi, Estate, Kent, B&P, are two piece hulls. They reload just fine.

Jim Skeel

13. jalu

jalu Member

14. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

They load just fine IF you use hulls that are NOT range pick-ups. These hulls have a fiber base wad which will soak up moisture like rain and dew (if exposed to the elements) and the base wad will swell and disintegrate. My favorite load is 1 oz. shot, 12SO wad, Fed. 209A primer, and 18 gr. Alliant Red Dot. .....Rick

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Buy 'em, shoot 'em, reload 'em. and toss 'em'

I still seem to have about 4 garbage bags full, if not more.

HM

16. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

3dram8 has good advice concerning moisture absorption in the fiber base wad. I once loaded some range pickups that had moisture in them. I shot a box of the reloads the next day and had only two or three bloopers - primer fired but powder did not burn. Several days later I shot another box of the same batch and had 50% duds - the primer would not fire.

Wet hulls will dry out if kept in a low humidity area for a week or two. I don't believe that the fiber base wad will harmed by exposure to moisture.

Jim Skeel

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I use them for a dandy one ounce load. 19 gr REX I, Cheddite primer, CLaybuster CB3118-12AR wad.

The way I have my system set up, hulls will sit in a shed for some time before being used.

Since the new AA hull came out, I have acquired the habit of looking down the pipes of my O/U's after EVERY shot, regardless of what is shot in them.

I do not own a fixed breech shotgun.

18. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

If a wound paper base wad came loose, it would not likely obstruct the bore the same was a solid base wad would (fiocchi new AA et al) not that it is impossible, just less likely.

My only reason for not using a lot of them is they take more powder for the same velocity on the other hand they give softer recoil for that same reason.

I load to the same velocity for all shells typically 1150 fps. Gun clubs, old style AA s RXP and STS are similar in characteristics.

regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.