1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone reload with a Mec?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Just got a mec reloader for a 28ga and noticed there is a set of bars on the main slide with numbers on it almost like you can set it for amount of wad pressure. Is that what it is and if so how do you know where to set it? Thanks

2. leadvail

leadvail Member

http://www.mecreloaders.com/OwnerManuals/OwnerManuals.asp

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Wad pressure was only important back in the days of built up fiber and cork wad columns. With plastic wads the only requirement is to have the wad in contact with the powder. Not sure why MEC continues to mark the wad pressure scale.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Targetmaster, there is a ring with a allen key type screw that keeps the pressure up on the rod. Loosen this allen key and push rod up or down to adj. the pressure. As said there is no need for high pressures anymore. You just want to see the needle start to move and thats fine. Listen to leadveal above and get a copy of your reloading manual. This has all the info you could ever need to know. Mec will mail you one for 5 dollars. Its well worth it. You could download it as well if you like. I like the nice booklet they mail you so you can take it to the loader or where ever you like to read. Break=em all. Jeff

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

wad seating on topp of powder is iportant. Adn the pressuer gradation indicates that and you are good to go. But usually (USUALLY) the crimp process moves the wad to th powder. Use the gradation to make sure you are eliminating the air space between powder and wad. Space will generally equal "poofy" loads. Unburned powder is a poofy load.

6. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

There are some loads, especially with Blue Dot, that I have had squibs or odd-sounding reports when not using enough wad pressure. I still set it up to 30 pounds just to be sure.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Ah, the old wad pressure discussion, albeit off-topic for this thread. It's been a few months since the last one!

I have not seated a wad in contact with the powder in 15 years and my loads work fine. Think about handgun ammo - a popular and very accurate .38 Special target load is 3.5 grains of Bullseye under a 148-grain hollow base wadcutter. The air space between the powder and the bullet in that cartridge is greater than the amount of the case that has anything in it. Yet they function well. In fact, I cannot think of one "standard" handgun cartridge in which the bullet approaches contacting the powder.

Kevin at Downrange Wads and I were having a wad pressure conversation a couple years ago and Kevin's words were, "Less wad pressure is better and none is perfect."

And not to correct you, Jack, but if the crimping process moved the wad column down in the hull, the hull would buckle in the area of the wad cushion section. That's because unlike the wad seating ram, the crimp die would be pushing the top of the hull downward along with the wad column. It can't move one without moving the other.

Ed

8. JACK

I have to defer to my mentor.

NO wad pressure is good.

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jack, I'm no expert much less a mentor. I struggled for years to get nice, flat, dime-deep crimps and a little wad pressure at the same time. I almost always wound up with dished crimps. But one day, while loading metallic cartridges, it occurred to me that there was a lot of space between the powder and base of the bullet and I pondered why I don't get bloopers with those loads. That gave me the courage to try trap loads without wad pressure and they work well like that, too.

Ed

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have loaded my 10ga loads by hand for many years. I use only the resizer, de primer and crimp/prime. I load the powder by hand with a scale and a funnel. Shot is done with old primer trays and and a funnel and the wad is seated by hand. Zero wad pressure and never a dud. Jeff

11. JACK

Ed, et al. Think of it this way. If you have a 1/2" air space in the powder cavity/space, do you think that will have any effect on the powder burn? All I am saying is to use the wad pressure gradation to make sure you have seated the wad. A seated wad makes for a predictable shell.

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

When you are out on the lake, and you hear a sound like CHAAWHOOM That is a 10Ga
    shell being detonated on a goose or a duck. CHAAWHOOM, CHAWOOM, CHAAWHOOM, well he missed that one.

It is a definite sound of 10 Ga shell.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I went to MEC website and Clicked on the PDF of the 9000 series presses. This is what I found about wad pressure.

ivanhoe_2008_030315.jpg

As you can see they recommend no actual wad pressure numbers. They do however recommend that the correct rammer tube setting in its place. They appear to be Saying that when the rammer tube is set in the recommended manner the wads are set correctly.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 650 rammer tube setting 28ga