1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone reload Kemens?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doug Brown, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Do you feel it's safe to reload Kemens? If so what data do you use? Thanks

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

NO...junk 'em...:(

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If they are any good for reloading, shooting coach would know about it. He reloads a lot of euro hulls.

ss

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Great hull to load once and toss. Loads as a Cheddite. Use 12SO and 12S3 wads. I have also had good luck with CB1100 Claybuster and Windjammer with heavier loads.

These hulls like fluffy single based powder. I prefer Solo 1000 and Solo 1250. Takes up a lot of space, goes BANG! in coldest weather.

I imagine several Bunker shooters load them as well. They make a dandy Bunker load.

Nobel and Rio primers work. Watch the Nobel in light loads during cold weather.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You decide. These are some examples of loose basewads in once fired hulls. I've seen quite a few and brought it to the attention of the factory reps. They weren't all that concerned. I won't load them and that's my personal preference and opinion. I won't even shoot them new. I have never seen a base wad exit the hull, but the possibility is there. I've had them more than halfway up in the hull, with some up near the crimp.

Some people load these with "Cheddite" data. They usually require a larger diameter primer, like the Rio, Nobel Sport, or Fiocchi 615.

There are enough "cheap" hulls available for free, that I don't need to take a chance on these. I shoot a gaspipe. My personal recommendation is to throw them away and load your components into something more deserving.

<a href="http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/nospoda/?action=view&current=Kemen4.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/nospoda/?action=view&current=Kemen3.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/nospoda/?action=view&current=Kemen2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/nospoda/?action=view&current=Kemen1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/nospoda/?action=view&current=IMG_0138cropped.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Wow Quack. Nice job. convinced me for sure. Amazing what guys can do for us fellow shooters.

I am like Quack in that I need to trust my loads. Taht base wad separation has "CG" written allover it.

I load STS exclusively. And after seeing ths Kemen thread, I am convinced more than ever.

Jack

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have loaded tens of thousands of these hulls, and have yet to see a migrated base wad. I load them once, and toss them. I have no doubt if I cut them in half, the wads would move. I inspect the inside of EVERY hull I load, regardless of make. I have not seen a single Cheddite or UEE hull with a migrated base wad.

I only shoot break open guns, and issues with the new AA hull has caused me to look down the tubes after EVERY shot.

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

sc. You rpove our point wiht your AA paranoia.

I do not care to look dwn the smokey bbl of a Perazzi after evry shot. Therefore I'll shoot hulls that will not have portential migraine issues.

Play on words there.

9. JPettengill

JPettengill TS Member

I load them, one time and toss them. We seem to have an unlimited supply at our club. I do find a base wad that is not down to the bottom on occasion, I just throw them away. I inspect every hull that I reload and it is easy to spot the problem. If I don't catch the problem on first inspection, it will show up when you reload it, the brass will dish, and the crimp will fail. I load the 24 gram International load in them and have for several years now, about 10,000 per year. I have not had a problem yet. I use the Nobel Sport primer, 21 grains of Clays or 22 grains of American Select, the SO clone wad, and 24 grains of shot.
    Jim Pettengill

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Shooting Coach

Well you've seen one now! I had a pile of these things with loose base wads. They were all different "brands". Look close enough and I'm sure you might find some. I have yet to see a loose base wad in a new style AA hull. I have more confidence in those, since I have taken some apart. The base wad has a bit more impingement in the AA hull. The UEE hulls are not worth the effort, for me to waste perfectly good components on them.

How many base wad migrations have you "personally" experienced with the AA hulls? I've loaded many thousands of the new style AA hulls and never had one fail in that manner.

Jim Pettengill

If you are experiencing base wad migrations, you need to rethink your strategies. I would not load a hull that exhibits that sort of failure. There are so many other cheap hulls out there that do not have the problem. Best advice? Toss them BEFORE you load them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.