1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone reload Gold Medals

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, May 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Does anyone reload Gold Medals, got 10 flats wondering to save the hulls or dump them. Can't sell any Winchester AA-just donate them to the 4H kids.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I do, I like them a lot. If you load the right components they make a very nice shell.

3. RemingtonReloader

RemingtonReloader TS Member

I reload the paper ones. Remington primer, 18 gr Green dot, Claybuster, 1 oz #8's. Shoot soft and smell like a shell should.

4. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

The Fed Gold Medal with ribbed hull are great for reloading. for a 3 dram load, I use a Fed 209A primer, 19.5 grains of Red dot, CB 12s3 clone wad. Nice shell.

JMAC

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The ribbed Gold Medal is a great case to load. The smoothies, not so much.

Ajax

6. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I like the ribbed ones the best, but the smoothies work well. I load 1 oz. of #8, Fed 209A Primer, CB6100 wad, with 19.5 grains of Green Dot!!

7. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I reload Federal Gold Medal hulls, from paper to smooth to ribbed.

The smooth hulls are awesome and you will get MANY reloads per hull out of them. Maybe the most durable hull I've used (and I've used a LOT of hulls).

With 2500 empties you're conservatively looking at 10-15k reloads.

I've found the Federal factory wads load the smoothest so if ease of use is what you are after try a bag of Federal wads before you go with a knockoff.

All the powder mfr's have recipes for Federal GM hulls so you shouldn't have a problem finding a recipe that suits the load you want to shoot.

8. ctreay

ctreay Member

I load all Federal paper and plastics. I use the 12s3 clone, 209A, 17.8 gr 700X, and 1 1/8 oz, of 7 1/2s. That has been my load for at least the last 10 years.

I use the same load for top guns.

ctreay

9. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

DO NOT reload the smoothies-the will burn through at the brass,severing the hull and send it down the barrel,where it becomes wedged in the forcing cone. Its a pain to get it out from there.

10. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Any tips on what reloading recipes to avoid burning thru the hull? Or how many reloads it took to separate the plastic from the brass?

11. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I have been having problems with the Fed smoothies coming apart and lodging in the forcing cone. They are breaking in half. Not burning through above the brass head as papers do. It seems to happen every 3 or 400 shots. It can happen on the first reload or any subsequent reload. It is very difficult to remove from the forcing cone. I have never had that happen with the ribbed hulls. I understand that Federal recalled the smoothies and replaced them with the ribbed hulls.

In any event, I think the ribbed Feds are terrific for reloads

12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

That was my problems with the smoothies. I could never tell when I had a bad batch until the cases started to separate.

Ajax

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have loaded thousands of Federal Gold Medal "smoothies", some of them many. many times, without a single case separation.

My understanding from talking to a Federal rep at the 2010 Grand, is that the incidence of failure seems to occur in certain high dollar brands of target shotguns. After discussions with other shooters and in this forum, my understanding is that case separation may occur if your shotgun has an over sized chamber.

I shoot Remington 870's, 1100's and 11/87's which have tight chambers and have never had a case separation problem. I did have one Remington Nitro 27 separate and become a "zinger" (case separates at the base and leaves the barrel perhaps with the shot still in the tube.) However, this case was loaded too many times and was in my "mistakes" bucket where I cull imperfect shells for shoot and discard.

At any rate, Federal has replaced the "smoothie" with the old ribbed hull which I liked better anyway. As I shoot up my remaining "smoothies", I toss them.

If you experience a case separation with a Federal "smoothie", IMO you should stop using them in that particular shotgun.

Ed Ward

14. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Teacher-i witnessed the seperation problem in three different brands of shotgun. All high dollar guns.

15. over/under

over/under Member

I had it happen to me with the first time reloaded in a 90-T. Took it to Federal building @ Sparta & wouldn't even acknowledge there was a problem. Now I buy Rem or AA's.

16. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

I have separated hulls with smooth and ribbed surfaces. I have had success running a bore snake from muzzle to breech to remove the offender.

I believe the problem is in the plastic composition/constituents, or perhaps with defects in the manufacturing methodology.

I am more inclined to blame the product, before blaming a sammi standard chamber.

17. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Like Ed. I have loaded lots of the old ribbed hulls with no problems, and am working on some smoothies with about 3 loadings.

I haven't had any problems yet, but I only load 1oz. Look OK so far.

I'm about to toss some old ones marked 1982 and 1984 Grand with about 5-7 loadings.

Haven't tried any of the new ribbed hulls yet.

Regards......Gerald

18. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Ed may be on to something. The Fed smoothie hull separations have all occurred in my K gun.

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

So.... What if you are shooting an auto and doubles or hunting is what you are doing?

I guess the answer is to not load them at all in multiple shot applications.

I have 3 flats of these loaded in hunting reloads. I can use them for third shots I guess. I don't want a case coming off and then firing another round into the wedged case. I don't think it will blow the barrel but it sure as hell can't be good! Jeff

20. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have reladed them for over 25 years. I use 19-20 PB/S-3 wad for 1 1/8 oz & 19 PB/SO wad for 1 OZ. This is the lightest recoiling shell in its dram class I have ever found. Also the best patterning,shot thru many diff. guns. I ONLY use Fed 209/209A primers. I have never had a burn-off,yes burn thru but I inspect each shell before loading. Tedious,expensive for sure but then trap shooting is NOT a cheap leasure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.