1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone put Adjustable Sights on their Ruger SR1911

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kolar12, Sep 2, 2013.

1. kolar12

kolar12 Member

I have a Ruger 1911 .45 which I do like. I shoot mostly cast bullets and it seems to shoot low and left. It does come more to the point of aim as it gets dirty. I contacted Ruger and inquired if they make a adjustable site and they said to contact Novac, the sight manufacturer. I sent them an email and they said they needed the slide to mill a relief for the larger site. Does not make sense to me. I would think you could just drift one out and put the other one in the same unaltered slot. Anyone go down this road?

2. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

In order to do a proper job of switching from fixed to adjustable sights on a 1911 platform, the slide needs to be milled to accept the new adjustable rear sight, and often a different front blade as well. The dimensions of the adjustable sight are quite different than the standard fixed sight, and thus the reason for the machining.
    I do many installations of the BoMar type adjustable sight on 1911 slides in my shop. To keep a low profile similar to the fixed system, the existing dovetail slot must be removed completely, re-located farther forward from the old slot and set deeper into the slide. A clearance must also be cut for the the longer, extended rear of the new adjustable sight system. It is a very nice alteration, and gives the shooter a wide range of bullet weights to use, and be able to adjust the point of impact.
    In many cases, the existing front sight may be too low for the adjustable rear, so a new front sight must also be installed. There are many options for the front sight including fiber optics, tritium night sights, or plain or white dot front blades.
    If you have further questions you can contact me at Fischer Gunsmithing, 305-261-1820 during my business hours of 12:30 to 6:30 pm, weekdays except Wednesdays, or e-mail me at: stevefischer2@bellsouth.net

3. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Steve is correct. No other option if you want adjustable sights.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If it comes back to center when dirty, you have other issues....

5. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I am looking to make a similar change to my S&W. I like the Novac site and think I will go with the green fiber optics. I have seen one gun so equipped and it was remarkable. Novac is the best and I would have no problem with them working on the slide.

JON

Search tags for this page
adjustable rear sight for sr1911
adjustable sight for ruger sr1911

adjustable sights for ruger 1911

adjustable sights ruger 1911
ruger sr 1911 adjustable rear sight

ruger sr 1911 adjustable sights

ruger sr1911 adjustable sights

sr 1911 adjustable sights