1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone polish sides of 391

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sean justice, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

has anyone? just the sides ,would like them to be silver, seen a 390 done on here.

2. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Sean I haven't done a 391 but have polished quite a bit of aluminum. If you want a high polish that can get tricky depending on what alloy it is, some will polish and look like a mirror, some alloys just won't get to that point. Or I should say I couldn't get some alloys to a perfect mirror finish.

Most of the aluminum receivers that I've seen have a brushed finish which is pretty easy to get. If you want to do it yourself you start by taking the receiver apart and sand the anodizing off the receiver flats only with the least aggressive grit that will work. Be careful to maintain a sharp line where you want the original finish to remain. Or mask off everything but the flats and bead blast it off if you have access to a blaster. If you want any lettering or engraving to remain the original color for contrast sanding is the way to go.

Then sand the flats with progressively finer sand paper to 240 or so. Once you have it looking good and flat get some 3m scotch brite pads, they come in different "grits" depending on how fine or coarse you want the brushed finish to be. Use the scotch brite pad on the flats in one way strokes running straight with the receiver until you get the look you want. If you make a mistake just sand it again and start over.

Once you get it looking like you want you can spray some clear epoxy over it or just leave it bare. If you leave it bare it may absorb oil and show fingerprints and take some maintenance to keep it looking good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.