1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone own/use a Waterwise 8800?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by halfmile, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

GE has some high tech stuff out now, I don't know much but I heard it worked very well.

I'm sure you should get a lot of responses here.

HM

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The waterwise is a distillation unit, good for the drinking wat6er only because of slow output.

A reverse osmosis system will give pure water to the whole house, including the dog when he drinks out of the toilet.

The worst water I ever tasted was at the Suer 8 in Kadoka, SD. It was so bad my dentures jumped back out of the glass when I went to put them in. The restaurant across the highway had excellent water, they had a filter system.

I have a Culligan cartridge charcoal filter on the drinking water spigot, use it for coffee and drinking water, or soup/kool aid, etc. My son used to work for Culligan, Now with Water Tech doing GE stuff.

You should have your water tested so you know what you are trying to correct. Good Luck,

HM

3. MX3SBOY

MX3SBOY TS Member

4. rscotty

rscotty TS Member

Some thoughts:

1. Consider putting a coarse filter ahead of your water filtration unit. I have one in the basement that is ahead of everything in the house. Filter carts are cheap and you can't believe all the stuff it'll collect. This makes your expensive filter carts last longer and helps save your water heater from the incoming sediment. It also saves the venturi valve in my water softener. I typically change it once a year. It takes 5 minutes or less.

2. If you go with a distillation unit, be sure to take dietary mineral supplements as you're removing the entire mineral content from your water.

3. Consider a multi-stage filtration unit rather than RO or distillation. It is more water efficient than RO and requires less maintenance than either of the other systems. You do need to change filter cartridges periodically however.

5. biff

biff Active Member

Been using the Waterwise 880 distillation water purifier for about 5 months now and it is without a doubt one of the better purchases I have made concerning health. The unit holds one gallon of water and will make at least 4 gallons of pure great tasting(No chemical or any other bad taste tap water can can impart)pure water. It is a counter top model which we use for coffee, tea, cooking or drinking. I usually make a couple gallons a day and have to clean the cooker after each use. The cleaning process gives a visual example of what we are putting in our bodies each time I clean to fill. I can see nothing I feel I'm missing as rscotty mentions, what is left after each cooking is about a teaspoon of brown liquid which looks something like tea, a chalky powder dry on the sides, and a corrosion type residue in the bottom where the heating coils are.

I bought the recommended cleaner and a 6 pack of charcoal filters(I am still on the original one). I only use the chemical cleaner after about 10 gallons which brings the stainless steel boiler back to pristine condition, I usually use a none abrasive pad to scrub out as much of the residue as I can. It makes little difference whether I use plain tap water or the filtered ice maker/drinking water spigot, the nasty looking results are the same. However I did use some natural spring water "Crystal Springs" which we offer in our waiting room and the residue was markedly less and had none of the brownish solution in the bottom. Next I want to experiment with a gallon of distilled water offered in supermarkets in the area, I have a feeling this test may reveal something interesting.

Bottom line is my Waterwise Distiller works great and is worth the investment, the only drawback I feel is I won't drink the water out in resturants(icky), therefore may not be getting all the water my system needs. I do take vitamins so I'm not lacking for anything I may get out of the water from the Barren River that Bowling Green, Ky uses for its water source! Biff

6. biff

biff Active Member

As I was hoping, there was a very small amount of residue when I distilled a gallon of distilled water I bought from the grocery, so it's OK. Next I want to try a gallon of a popular brand of spring water I had been drinking prior to buying my Waterwise distiller, will keep you informed--thanks for your responses and interest. Biff

7. biff

biff Active Member

Not too many people interested in this thread, for those of you who were curious; I did distill another batch of Deer Park spring water and the results were very good as there was very little residue left in the cooker. However, our city water in Bowling Green, Ky comes out of the Barren River which has been very high and muddy due to all the rain we have been having recently; the residue left lately appears to have more residue than it did before.

I feel my investment in a distiller purifier was well worth the money. We have not had colds or flues and I also feel generally better physically since using this device. I used to drink water with my meals in resturants, but not any more especially seeing the TV report on how contaminated water is in resturants from the glasses to the ice from dirty ice machines to even the lemon slices. Just for your info, no need ot respond if not interested. Biff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.