1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Own A Les Baer 1911?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Anyone own a Les Baer 1911? I am looking into getting one, and I was just looking for input.

2. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Matt, I decided I wanted one a couple months ago. Did all the research and due diligence and was completely confused on what to get. I kept running across the same name on the 1911 forums on where to buy, Crazy John. His website is above, but don't email him, call him. After 45 minutes on the phone with him I told him to send me a Premier II with adjustable target sights, his recommendation. I couldn't be happier with the gun. I found out he is Les's largest seller, and 7 time California pistol champ. He also offered the best price and free shipping. <br> As far as the gun goes, I couldn't believe how tight it is. I thought for sure I would have problems with it until it was broke in. John recommended Federal American Eagle 230 grain FMJ ammo, 500 before the first cleaning, just keep lubing it with CLP every 100 or so. So far I'm 200 into the break in, flawless operation so far. Shoots way better than I do, but it is training me, lol. It really is a pleasure to shoot. Here is a real good video to watch about Les Baer. Good luck, Harv.<br>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpdy8QQ-Y-Q&feature=g-u

3. drgondog

drgondog Member

I have one of his first custom 1911A1's along with a similar Wilson.

Both outstanding, both shoot better than I do and have had only a couple of stoppages with wad cutter re-loads over 30 (20 years for the Baer) years.

They both get my recommendation.

Bill

4. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Got hooked on the 1911 platform in Jan 2012! Own 3 Baers! All I can say is awesome! Also got a DW valor and not in the same neighborhood! Tom Rhoads

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Nothing against the Baer - great pistol.

I have a Jim Garthwaite, which is perhaps the best pistol I own, as well as an EGW which is also over the top. Two others you might look at.

Just was handling the new S & W (see link) and for just over a grand it is as good as they come.

Read much, learn a lot, shop prudently...

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

How is the Para?

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Setterman,

I have an older P-12 which I love. Small, remarkably compact yet a joy to shoot - 12 rounds of 45...

Check out the work don by Ross Carter (he posts here) for the P-pistols.

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The Les Baer is in my mind the best custom gun for the money and it may be the best custom gun period- hands down

I have owned 3

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

I own two;Premier II & 4" Commanche.Both are excellent,reliable shooters.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I had Ross do a trigger job, smooth up the action, and install a Weigand Red Dot mount on my Rock Island 1911 9mm.

I chose that gun because I didn't want to drill mounting holes in one of my Kimbers.

Now the RI is my fav. 1911. Ross is great, but always busy. I handled a Para Black Op limited yesterday, and liked the frame weight, but don't know if the trigger is crisp out of the box or junk?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.