1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone out there that does silver nitrate finishes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I have a model 32 with San Remo engraving and want to change the original blue to a silver nitrate. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thanks,Bulge.

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Arts Gun Shop in Missouri I don't have the address handy but he's on the internet if you do a search.

I've had him do a few in the past.

Joe

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Joe, do you have an approx. cost? Thanks, Bulge

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I can remember since I sent three stripped receivers but i would guess around 200.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

BarrelBulge--

First off, there's no such thing as "silver nitriding". I think Browning may have coined that phrase, but it's a mismoner. Here is the definition of nitriding...

http://www.key-to-steel.com/CN/Articles/Art117.htm

As for what you may have just read, yes, it's a heat-treating process in a controlled atmosphere. After the part has been removed and cooled, the part then gets polished to the "silver" color. You pretty much just have a polished bare surface. The polishing is need to remove the light scaling (more like a light dust), which has a color of light brown.

The nitriding is a more modern procedure to the "case-hardening" of years ago. As with the case hardening, nitriding is used to toughen up the exterior of the softer steel below.

Having it done on an engraved gun will not give you the results you're looking for, because no polishing can be done in the deep part of the engraving, plus the amount of polishing that's needed will "wash-out" a lot of the engraving's detail.

I explored all the options 15 years ago for a different metal finishes other than bluing. Art's did a few receivers for me to try. I didn't care for the nitriding because of the polishing process that's involved after the heat-treatment. I'ts possible to polish through the very thin hardened surface and be into the softer steel, which in-turn is unprotected and has the likely chance of rust and/or discoloring. All you need to do is check around at a few other shotgun forums to see quite a few shooters have problems with off-color spotting, and needing Art's to redo the receivers.

OK, now for a little self-promotion....

You could look at the option of nickel plating. This will give you the silver color you're looking for. I would not suggest a polished nickel, because first..a lot of polishing would be needed, and second, the polished surface will hide a lot of the details in the engraving, because of the glossy washout.

I would recommend a light satin look. This would leave all of the edges of the engraving nice and sharp.

The other option, which looks nice, but does need a little maintainence, is the "French Gray" or "acid wash" look. This really isn't a metal finish. The acid will leave the metal looking dark gray. It has no protective qualities, so keeping a coat of oil (I like to give it a coat of RIG grease) to keep things from getting rusty. Also, the edges of the receiver will eventually begin to turn white just like a blued gun will, because of handling.

Doug Braker

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

yes sometimes the receivers spot a gray color and a little flitz cures the problem I don't like Nickle myself!
    Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.