1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone offer professional reloading service?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capulona, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capulona

capulona TS Member

I apologize if this has been asked and it'll probably sound wimpy but, are there people who will reload your shells for a fee? I recently stared trapshooting at a local club and are looking at all these Remington Gun Club hulls and wonder if there's someone in the area (Northern NJ) where I can bring these empty hulls, specify that I'd like it to be loaded with light, trainer loads (for my daughter, for example) and pay him/her for this service.

Is this nonsense? I thought about doing it myself but it seems to be a huge production to buy the equipment and materials, not to mention I don't trust myself to do this.

Any thoughts?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good luck finding someone to load your shells. Reloading is a relatively simple process and once you have bought your equipment the costs are all supplies and time. You don't want to buy shells that someone else has loaded other than the big name outfits(Remington, Winchester etc.).

Matt

3. grntitan

I KNOW and i CHANGED my reply. None-the-less people value their time too much to sit around and load shells for others. MAybe its a job for you.

Matt

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Liability and trust issues. I would never let someone else reload my shells.

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Yep, people do it all the time for a fee......

They're names are: Remington, Winchester, Federal, etc, etc. And you get a once fired hull that you can sell after a shooting session!

Hope this helps and I think 7-1/2's are better than 8's.

Curt

6. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I know a guy who used to be married to a good looking redhead. She loaded all of his shells, cleaned his guns, washing and waxed his Lincoln and Harley, butchered deer, dressed birds, etc etc. She was in Jersey. He divorced her.... what an ass!

7. grntitan

bridgetoofar--You got her #?

Matt :)

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Can someone cook dinner for me on the weekends? My time is limited with all the shooting and stuff going on.

9. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

bridgetoofar - Damn, I can only assume with a set-up like that he "switched teams!!!!!"

10. capulona

capulona TS Member

Thanks for all the replies, really do appreciate it, and better yet - I get it. There's a lot of stuff in this question that I didn't think through. I guess at $5.24 for a box of Gun Clubs from Bass Pro, and less than that for Estate and Top Gun from my local club, it's really a hobby.

11. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I know one such gentleman his login on this site is Shooting Coach. John is one of the best there is and loads one of the lightest shells known to man for youth.

I don't know how much he would charge, but I know he would be happy to share the receipe. It might be better to have him set you up with a Mec Sizemaster that loads Gun Club shells. I have friends in Kentucky and Tennessee that claim they reload better than STS.

Send John a PM and let him know what you need. He can do it all...

TNCoach

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

cap,

Start reloading. Light factory shells are costly.

It is not rocket science and you can start with a low investment. The MEC Sizemaster is a good start or a Grabber if you want more shells per hour.

Most of us with kids, girlfriends or wives start them out with light 7/8 or 1 oz loads.

Don Verna

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I'm thinking if someone were to advertise such a service for a fee the BATF would consider his enterprise an illegal ammunition factory?

14. locdoc

locdoc Member

A class 6 FFL would take care of the BATF's concern.

15. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Ask around, you may eventually run into someone that does it. There have been several people in my area that would reload what ever recipe you wanted.
    I buy all of my handgun ammo from a guy that has multiple machines in his basement.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Some idiot blowing up a gun could make loading for others an unwise decision.

I will GIVE (not sell) a box here and there to pals if they are short, but that's it. usually they fill them up and give them back.

HM

17. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

Find a couple of guys that are very particular about their loads (I am beyond particular, I am anal, but that's another story...) and ask if you could come watch him load and learn from him. He may let you load some of yours for just the cost of components. Once you learn from someone knowledgeable, you are way ahead of most the guys anyway. It is easy, but must be done correctly.

18. leadvail

leadvail Member

Kinda like asking the neighbor to change your oil in your car for you.

You know cap, you can sell you empties to guys like me to lower your factory cost. Bob

Man, a redhead too!

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

There just isn't enough $ incentive for such a thing to to be of interest to anyone that is bright enough to realize the liability pitfalls.

You can buy very light factory target loads, look for the ones advertised as 'managed recoil' or 'feather lite'.

If you really want to get a custom light load other than those, you can learn to safely roll your own by reading a few books and asking the right questions to the right people. The group on this forum has a wealth of experience on this particular subject and is always willing to share.

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Wiseman once said more than one way to skin a cat. Why don't you buy her a PFS Stock for her gun. Precision Fit Stocks by Vern Brown. (719) 250-7727 cell. You can buy these stocks used on this site. If she stops shooting you can sell them back on here as well. These are perfect for your son/daughter as your child grows so does the stock as they are adjustable in every way possible. Makes a 12 ga. load feel like a 28 ga. or less. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.