1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone nickel there super x 1 reciever?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 4andy10, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

Has anyone had their reciever nickel plated??? Keith

2. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Bought a customized (Greg Hissam adjustable comb and pad, Bob Baumgart trigger work, Briley choke tubes, etc.) Super X1 off of this site that has a nickle receiver. Really a great looking gun.

DoubleAuto

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

yes, and I once had the late Bob Baumgart satin chrome one....

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I own what may be the last one that Bob Baumgart upgraded after having it nickel plated. It is certainly not needed but it sure looks cool. I own a whole bunch of sx-1's and this is the only gun I own that is so plated. a friend sent Bob a NIB trap gun and had Bob upgrade the gun and plate it. He died shortly after. I think what it amounts to is that a really good bluing job is not much less and the plating is hard and the idea is to cut down on wear. I don't know.... I have one sx-1 that has over 100,000 rounds shot through it. It has never been reblued and seems to operate just fine as long as I replace worn out parts. Jeff

5. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

Could you folks send me pictures of the guns(recievers)? I'm leaning more to having it nickel plated from Fords in Florida. Like to have sides polished with sighting plane in satin. Did you folks have the trigger assembly group nickel plated too. Nickel worries me more because it is usually around .003 thick and I'd hate for my gun to not go back together. Appreciate the everyones thoughts on this. thx, Keith

6. leftex

leftex Active Member

4andy10,

I believe electroless nickel is usually .ooo3 thick instead of .003. I wouldn't think that would cause reassembly problems.

Wayne

7. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

1oz.:

Hate to admit it but I have never fired that Super X1. Did take it by Stu Wright's and have either the gas system or the magazine tube (whichever one hadn't been updated) updated and a new recoil buffer put in it. Just too many guns, too little time. My receiving FFL dealer on this gun is not a shotgun person but was showing this Super X1 to everyone that came in. Take it out every so often and wipe it down and admire it.

How are you doing?

DoubleAuto

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

This was from the late Bob Baumgart demonstrating the different finishes available. As I remember its Chrome, Nitex, and Silver (Nickel??)

bigmperazzi_2008_030310.jpg

9. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Al Lingham
    Kelso Gunsmithing
    Tucson, AZ

I can duplicate the looks of the top and bottom shotguns in the picture above.

I do the prep in my shop, a very good plating shop lets me walk it through the plating process.

Al Lingham

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.