Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone need 870 forearm and metal slides

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  GunDr 
#1 ·
I redid an older 870 with synthetic stock and forearm and have an extra one laying around. Does anyone need it? I'd rather see someone use it than to have it gather dust in the basement. No charge...Merry Christmas.

Nebraska

#3 ·
I have a small favor to ask you all. I have a 870 and am having problems getting it to fire all the time. I have pull it apart and trigger is working great. So in the slides not coming up all the way or locking tight. what do I need to look for and could it be the firing pin. I can't tell if it is broken but seems OK. Any help would be great. Thank You in advance. Break-em all. JEff

#4 ·
do you hear the hammer drop? If so it has to be in the bolt..probably the pin. You cannot check the pin without taking it out. Look and you will see a small metal pin that holds the pin and spring in place. Knock that pin out with a small punch. Drive it to the top of bolt. Bet you have a broken firing pin spring. If you cant do this, someone at your club can. Good luck...fred

#5 ·
look hard at the spring around the firing pin. when they break they wrap around each and get shorter. best way i can describe it. pin could be broke but i'll bet on the spring if the gun locks up solid and trigger is working. have a nice xmas.

#6 ·
Yes, the trigger fires every time when I took the whole assembly apart. I could not see any problems,but was not sure if fireing pin was broken or not. I did not see a way to come apart the last time. Now I will look for small retaining pin in the bolt assembly. I do dry fire this 870 from time to time and was told it would not hurt the gun. But know I think it may have caused my fireing pin to break. Thank You both for the info. I was starting to wonder if problem was a bent slide or some thing not allowing the bolt to reset and let the triggers hammer fall. Where is a good place to get parts. Brownells maybe. Break-em all. Jeff

#7 ·
Have you checked the (shell I say "NUT") on the front of the action slide tube.

when these come loose they make the action slide to long, then it hits the barrel lug and wont let the slide lock/disconector release, not letting the gun fire.

This part is hidden inside the front of the forearm, it is round, and his notchs for a spanner tool.

Al

#8 ·
Al, Funny that you mention the nut holding the barrel on. Gun was working fine and put in safe. I bought a new weighted end nut and took to range to try it. Thats when I started to have the problems. I have since put the original end cap nut back on to see it that was the problem, but gun still is a hit or miss when you pull trigger. Sometimes will go off on second try if you push the forearm more forward like it is not locking up properly. Maybe it is a broken firring pin or spring.Still not sure what problem is. Maybe the firring pin. Break-em all. Jeff

#10 ·
Toledo (OR) Trap Club is starting a Junior class, we have 21 registered students from a local Charter School. The local Sheriffs office has donated several 870's to us. Due to the size of the kids enrolled we will have to modify most of these guns. We could sure use any 870 parts that you do not need. Many Thanks for any considerations. Perry Brown

#13 ·
Pull & Mark,

I'm a little confused with your description of the problem.

Are you having "MISFIRES" or are you having an occassioal problem with the hammer "NOT" dropping when the trigger is pulled.

A misfire is when the hammer drops and hits the firing pin, but the gun did not fire. There should be an audible click when this happens.

You mention pushing the forend forward a litle harder and the gun will then fire (?????) Is this AFTER you've re-opened the gun, or just pushed it a bit and then it would go off.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.