1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone make less than 7/8 oz wads for 20 ga?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 50calshooter, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 50calshooter

50calshooter TS Member

I want to load lite less than 7/8 oz lead for 20 ga. Can't seem to find any wads. Or data thanks for the help. Loading Rem STS hulls. David

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Windjammer made a 3/4 oz wad, but I'm not sure if it's still available.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Use a 28 guage card in the bottom to take up space. I made some light loads for my son when he started.

Try Ballistic Products or Gary Butler.

HM

4. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Go to ShotgunWorld.com Forum section & seek out their reloading section.....lots of info. Plenty of data for 3/4 oz loads for 20 ga. I load & use a 3/4 oz. load in a couple of my 20's & they work great with little recoil. Good Luck!

5. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Try ballisticproducts.com 1-888-273-5623 Just be careful as a lot of their wads are made for a straight wall case & are a tight fit in a taper wall case. Tom

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

What has worked for me for many years is simply to use 16 gr Unique, WAA20 Claybuster or other clone, and 3/4 oz. This load will work fine in Winnie or Remmy hulls. No adjustments needed on a Mec 9000.

I ran my first hundred in a Purbaugh tube gun with this load many years ago.

7. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The current Winchester WAA20 wad will allow 3/4 oz loads while still having a decent crimp. It is one of the few standard 7/8 wads that can do double duty with 3/4 oz loads.

8. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Another for the Winchester 20 gauge wad. My Remington wads have a taller shot cup on top for the 7/8 ounce load. The Winchester wad is actually better suited to a 3/4 ounce load. I don't have any adjustments when I load them with Unique powder.

9. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

I found the AA20 wad with the Hodgdon International Clays 3/4 oz recipe in the current 3 piece AA HS hull loads loads perfectly. I used the much denser WSF powder for the 7/8 oz load. Seems to work as well with the occasional universal case that slips in...

Probably would work well with the Remington case. Don't use Remington these days since I only get 4 - 5 reloads, as opposed to more than 10 with the AA HS.

- - Bill

10. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

50calshooter, try 13 gr. of Int. Clays, WAA20 wad, STS hull, & Win. 209 primer
    for your 3/4 oz. 20 gauge loads. I've used this load for several years. Great crimps in the STS hull, not so great with the AA.

I have a very lightweight SXS that would really beat me up when shooting the SXS events so I went to this load directly from the Hodgdon manual & it really solved the recoil problem & seems to perform just as well as the full 7/8 oz. load.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

The odd thing about this load is the fact that breaks are about the same as the 7/8 loads give.

I also load 11/16 oz in the 28 with Unique. Same as above, same breaks as heavier load. I don't know about hunting performance, but for Skeet, they work well.

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I use the AA20 wad for 3/4 oz loads for my Grandson with no problem. I use a bulky powder like PB to take up space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.