1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone loading 16 gauge ammo?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 3dram8, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Was thinking about getting into reloading 16 gauge. Can anyone give me the benefit of experience about what is the best hull and wad to reload for a basic 1-ounce target load? I can go the powder website to get loading data, but was curious what the best hull/wad combo might be. Thanks......Rick

2. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I haven't loaded 16 for a number of years but when I did I liked the Winchester compression formed hulls and the Remington game hulls. The Activ hulls were nice also if you could find some of them. Remington made a one ounce wad that was available at that time but it was discontinued years ago and I don't think the Winchester compression formed hulls are available either. You might look at the Precision Reloading website. They list a new 16 ga wad from Downrange and a couple from Gualandi that may work well. I bought some Fiocchi 16 ga shells a number of years ago with the intention of reloading the hulls. They turned out to be about 3/16ths of and inch shorter than the standard 2 3/4 hulls and I couldn't reload them on the equipment I had at the time. Precision now lists primed Fiocchi and Cheddite 16ga 2 3/4" hulls neither of which I have tried.

3. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Check out 16ga.com website. A lot of information available.

4. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I load for my sixteen and shoot it for trap. Ballistic Products has a lot of supplies and info. They even sell a sixteen gauge manual. They have a website by the same name you can go to. Mike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester compression 16 gauge