1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone loaded ashes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by STARSKY, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STARSKY

STARSKY TS Member

A friend of mine recently passed and was cremated. All of his hunting buds want to say goodbye with a salute. Has anyone ever loaded someones ashes into a shell to be shot as a memorial? Any ideas? Thanks, Jeff

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have sprinkled the ashes of a shooter on a trap field. I have organized a few salutes when many friends shoot the passed persons last target for him. But ashes in loaded shells could pose a safety concern. If they could be loaded safely, it would take a lot of shells.

Along the same line of thought, I always believed a nice cremation urn would be an excellent Senior Vet trophy. If two Sr. Vets tied, a shoot off could tell which one wanted it the most.

Pat Ireland

3. STARSKY

STARSKY TS Member

We just have a small amount of ashes, to be loaded into about 10 shells. So I figure maybe just take out a little shot and put in a little ashes?

4. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

A few years ago we had just that happen at our club. I was not involved in the loading of the shells. But, my understanding was that each normally loaded shell had a sprinkling of ashes. I assume it was not enough to alter the ballistics, purely symbolic. They were brought out to the club, and handed out to club members on hand. We all lined up on the line and fired downrange.

Bill Radwan

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We did it, and the best way is like you say, put a small amount in each shell.

Put the ashes in first, I would use a one ounce load, and an oune and 1/8 wad.

Use a low pressure recipe and you should be good to go.

Once we had the whole shell with ashes and it was a mess.

This was done 3 times in my recollection.

HM

6. hunter870

hunter870 Member

The biggest question if it were my ashes would be...

7 1/2s or 8s?

I'm sorry, but someone had to say it.

7. Twixter

Twixter Member

I have down this with the ashes of a good friend of mine. This is what he wanted and everyone was happy to do his bidding. I loaded the shells. What I did was mix the ashes and the shot together and put them in the bottle and loaded the shell as you would normally. The ashes acted like a buffer with the shot. Having said this and done this, I would not advise anyone doing this. I had to have my reloader complettly redone after this because of the dirt from the ashes getting into the loader parts. Everyone who paartiapated in this received shells to shoot special targets thrown after everything was finished that day, His memorial shoot. A finer tribute to a great trapshooter and friend could not of happened. Mick

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'm having mine mixed with target compound and made into targets. I want all my friends to shoot me to the promised land.

9. 221

221 Banned User Banned

Your friends may be too busy helping your wife, properly dispose of all those cheap guns you have. I would never rely on "my friends" to perform the task, ...1 of them maybe....but never all. I have a list in my safe of those ineligible to enjoy my firearms.

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The whole idea of shooting a loved one's ashes seems a bit weird to me but, hey, to each his own. That's what's great about America. What's the harm?... I say load him up and send him!

-Gary

PS: I'll stand up-wind :)

11. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

It is not a surprise to me as My best friend if a saltwater fisherman all his life and wants his ashes spread in the ocean. An other is a motorcycle rider with lots of miles in the saddle and wants hid ashes mixed with paint and painted on his friends bikes so he can remain in the Wind and still be on the road.

12. Barry C. Roach

Little is as silly or weird as removing all your blood, injecting the body with embalming fluid, boxing then,reboxing and then covering up with dirt with a stone name tag that is seldom ever read.

13. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

The subject has come up amongst pilot buddies and a plan to launch cremated remains into the Pacific using a radio controlled plane. Asked local funeral director what average remains weigh. He tells me its around 8 pounds. Now wife wants to go along. Gonna need a bigger airplane!

14. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Barry, there has been some good medical and historical information gained, that would have otherwise been lost, because of that silly method of burial. Couple the scientific advances on the future with the remaining mysteries of disease management, and you may have your decendents wishing that their antecedents were in a box-in-a-box.

15. Barry C. Roach

No blood descendants. You and Martin can join in if you wish. I'll put you on the list. Send me your cell# via email.

16. Barry C. Roach

It's going to be a hell of a party!

17. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Barry, email sent. Can't wait to see that next shirt. :)

18. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

The Wisconsin tribute to a good friend and a good shooter will continue. I have 5 rounds of this guy and plan on attending the Las Vegas Fall Handicap. After the program shoot on Tuesday I will place the last of my friend to be part of that great club. What a nice way to go.

Ken Cerney

Wisconsin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.