1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone load with buffer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rocktire, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocktire

rocktire Member

Does anyone out there load shotshells using buffer. I recently went to a small gunclub that shoots games on Saturday night. They were shooting some very long shots. They were mostly using 4,5, and 6 shot 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 with buffer. I was shooting 1-1/4 6's. I was hitting the targets but not with as much authority. Does the buffer help that much with pattern or do you think it was the larger shot. We were shooting 4 gun Annie Oakleys from 55 yards behind the trap house. I was in the money a few times but am always looking for another advantage.

I also heard someone say that the buffer would corrode the barrel worse, any truth to this?

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I load buffer in a few hunting loads, and yeah, it can tighten a pattern up right smart, but it is not an all-purpose fix.

There are some quirks to loading it, and depending on your load, it can kick up your pressures.

Large shot has more energy at longer range, and harder, rounder flies truer. Lawrence Copper-Plated Hard is worth the premium price.

Modern buffers (plastic) are not corrosive, but Creme of Wheat, Farina, Corn Cob, etc. are hygroscopic and can help rust iron thingeys.

Bob

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

When you follow proper loading recipes for buffered loads, chamber pressures are raised a lot. To lower that pressure, less velocities are needed for safe loads. Guys paying no attention to chamber pressures when using buffered material mixed with higher velocities are standing next to you with a potential grenade. Stay with the loads you now use and be on the look out for idiots! Hap

4. peavine

peavine TS Member

Hello rocktire, I have loaded shells with buffering with great results. However, I suggest you get a copy of Tom Roster's book on loading with buffer. As has been stated, pressures jump up when buffering is added. Good luck, good shooting, Jonathan Taylor

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

The secret to "smacking them hard" is shot size!

I have never usd buffer.

Next time you are at a pot shoot, carefully observe the good shooters. When they are the 1st shooter, they probably use #6s, and when they move down the line, they change to #5s and at the end of the line, they are using #4s.
    The bigger the shot, the tighter the pattern.

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

years ago there was a very strong warning I read, about the dangers of doing this for the reasons mentioned above.

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Here is some inside info get some parifin wax and when you load the shell. Put about 2 layers of 4s and drip some wax. Not fill the shot just to stick it . Next do same with 5s and drip the wax again . next 6s and do wax again.last put 1 layer of 4s on top and wax again. Make sure the 4s on top is just one layer. At 125yd pattern will stay in 4ftI found it best to load a fiber wad not a shotcup and 1 3/8 shot .

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I load my potato with butter.............what?????????? what?????????.............oh, buffer? Nevermind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.