1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone load those tracer wads?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by famill00, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Did anyone load up any of the tracer wads that were sold on here a few months back? I got my order but havent put any together yet. I was wondering if you all had any success and with what powder/wads?

Thanks,
    Forrest

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Absolutely fantastic! They are spectacular at night and can be seen fairly well in the daylight.

Top Gun or Gold Medal Hull, Federal 209A primer, 23.5 grains Universal Clays, 1 1/8 oz shot. That gave me around 1235 fps in the Top Guns and slightly faster (1245) in the Gold Medals. A similar load using 23.0 - 23.5 grains of Unique also worked well for me. I tried the STS hull and found that 20 grains of Green Dot and the Winchester 209 primer also worked at around 1230 fps. I didn't load too many of them, but they all lit up. Del stated that the slower powders and hot primers worked the best in their testing. I had very little reason to try much else. The Universal Clays load is the one I settled on. It seems to work at 22.8 grains as well, but I only tried a few.

When you assemble the wads and the pellets, you might want to wear gloves. I wore nitrile gloves and used a pair of large tweezers to place the pellets in the wads (neck down) and then pressed them firmly into place with a clean wooden dowel. I set the wads into a clean 20 ga loading block before inserting the pellets. I did 50 at a time. You might also look at the overpowder cup sealing edge and see if there is a small piece of flash hanging on. I trimmed those off carefully with a scalpel. I don't know if it makes a difference. The oils on your hands and tools can supposedly contaminate the pellets. I didn't test that and I will take Del's word on it.

I also tried some after being stored in a freezer for a day. They worked fine and only lost about 45 fps, if my memory serves me. That was the Universal Clays load in top gun hulls. All 10 of them lit up.

3. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

When I first used them I really liked the results,Seeing the shot hit the target or MISS the target showed me my mistakes!At night during the custer shoot's if you missed the target you didn't have to worry about the guy next to you knocking you out because he was in a TRANCE looking at the bright light!!
    But on another note the last batch I loaded didn't work!!! Zero tracer, So you can take your chances and see if they work for you!!I don't know why the last batch failed because I loaded them all the same.Good LUCK PJ

4. SanDiegoShooter

SanDiegoShooter TS Member

Are these available for sale anywhere as a completed shell, as I do not reload? I saw some on Gun Broker but they were 10-15 years old. It seems a new company using the same name is around now Tru-Tracer but the wedsite does not give any info on where to buy them. They do give a warning about the old companies shells and to avoid them.

-Mike

5. steele

steele TS Member

PJ, I had the same problems with no ignition. I tried every combination recommended & only got about 3-4 % igition. I gave up trying. The couple that did lite were really impressive, as they hit center target.

6. crk

crk Member

I just ordered some and got a note back from them that they held up shipping my order to figure out the lack of firing issue. They had a recipe that was now working so I expect that they will resume shipping soon.

7. shot string

shot string TS Member

Just seen this for the first time. Where are you ordering from? Have a link to mash?
    Thanks
    Lynn

8. crk

crk Member

No link, Lynn, but search "tracer wad" on this BB and the thread will come up with ordering info - you need to send a check and they will send them to you. NWresearch is the place and their email is nwresearch2003@yahoo.com

9. KK

KK TS Member

I had a batch that didn't work too. There is a coating that must be put on them to prevent oxidation and my batch had missed that process. If you have some that don't work, contact the man you got them from and he will replace them. He is a real gentlemen and took good care of my problem immediately. Everything I have loaded has worked with this new batch. KK

10. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

KK- What does the coating look like? I bought some a while back but haven't loaded any. Would just as soon not load and find out they are uncoated. Thanks.

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Guy allow me to ask a couple of questions as I am curious about this subject. I am also interested in it when you load the shot into the wad does the wad transfer something that causes the Shot to glow/light up or how ever you wish to say it.?

Bob Lawless

12. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Loading instructions were enclosed in the packet. Have reloaded and fired a 100. No problems.

13. KK

KK TS Member

Hitapair: The coating appears as a glaze. The surface of the tracer ball will have a dull appearance. If the ball is very shiney it may have missed the coating process. I found it difficult to see the difference between the coated and uncoated but the manufacture spot it right away. I would load a half dozen rounds using your normal load formula but substituting the tracer wad in the load and check them that way. I didn't find any reason to adjust any part of my usual loading set up, the wads load just like any 1 1/8 ounce wad so it's easy to check the tracers out. KK

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

KK: How is the tracer wad different? Also is that the answer to Bob's question above?

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The wad actually has a round "pellet" inserted in the center of the bottom of the shot cup, It sits under the shot and gets ignited through a channel in the center of the wad that extends down into the over powder cup. This pellet separates from the wad and travels along with the shot and glows brightly when lit. It does not appeear to affect the pattern or the shot very much, if any.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.