1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone live in Bowie, MD

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by krieghoffkrusher, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Hey everyone,
    Curious to see if anyone on trapshooters lives in/near Bowie Maryland. I'm relocating to Maryland and a friend recommended Bowie. Is it a nice place to live? Any good shooting clubs nearby? Any information we be greatly appreciated.

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

What do you consider nice?

What is nice to Larry the Cable guy would be a total dump to Donald Trump so ... lay out some criteria of what is and what is not nice and it could be better answered.

Bowie is not really all that bad of an area but are you going to be working in Bowie or commuting to somewhere else. It may look close on a map and such but if you need to commute that closeness may relate to hours on the road.

3. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Prince Georges Trap and Skeet Center, a large public range first built as a Winchester Range, is about 15 minutes from Bowie.

13 trap and skeet fields, large club house, SC course, and a pretty vibrant trap program from what I can tell (sorry, I wear a tutu LOL)

4. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Aint they also got a couple of them bunkers at Prince Georges Trap and Skeet?

5. Baron23

They have a bunker...at least one. Not sure it its operational?

Give them a call; (301) 577-7178

6. borderrunner

borderrunner TS Member

They had two, only one works. They only have it available when they aren't using the trap next to it.

7. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Mr Newbius, you are very correct. "nice" is a matter of opinion. I am moving to the area from Upstate New York and will be working in the Waldorf/Accokeek area. I've been looking at different areas the last couple of days and the problem I'm having is there are no "downtown" areas like what I'm used to. Everything is housing developments and strip malls.

I'm single and in my mid-thirties so I would like an area lively enough were I could me some people. Many of the people I work with live in the Alexandria area and commute in. It's a reverse commute so the traffic isn't that bad. I've looked at Alexandria and love old town but very $$$. The rest of Alexandria is very crowded. What I wouuld love to find would be an area that I can find a decent place to rent in the 1200-1300 range that is not crazy with congestion but easy access to a downtown area with good restaurants and night life.

8. Festus

Festus TS Member

Might want to consider the Reston, VA area somewhere around the Town Center. Kindof a late 20's to 30's crowd. Should be able to find a nice Condo for rent around your price range. Lots to do in the way of nightlife. Easy to get to Alex., VA area. Best of all, its on the correct side of the ole Mason-Dixon line (no offense to the Marylanders intended). Would be a painfull commute to Waldorf though.

9. Baron23

Pardon me, Festus, but I believe the man said his new job was in Waldorf.

Sending him to Reston is sending him to the exact opposite side of the city and at least a 2 hour commute.

He has to do PG county or get tortured in metro DC traffic everyday.

Yeah, Bowie is suburban, but there is Annapolis not too far away and you can still make it into DC or Baltimore if you desire.

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC IN METRO DC AND PLAN ACCORDINGLY.

Cheers

10. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

The Bowie area is OK if you're single and don't have to worry about schools and such. Coming from New York State you might want something quieter than Bowie. Try looking at the Dunkirk area, though apartments might be harder to find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.