1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone like to shoot registered??????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ron(Oh), Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

It really doesn't seem like anyone likes to shoot registered targets anymore.
    A friend of mine and I like to shoot registered on wednesday at Middletown sportsmans club in Middletown Oh. We can't even get 1 other shooter.
    Where did all the die hards go?
    Is ATA target shooting dying or what.
    Not too long ago if I got there at 9:30 I was on the 3rd squad
    Now! can't even get 3 people, what gives????
    I would like to do a doubles marathon there when it gets close to the shooting season.
    Is there anyone out there or am I alone?
    I know I'll hear a lot of slack from this but I like to shoot registered..Ron

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Attendence has been dropping of late. So the ATA gave 2 yard reductions to members to help fix things. I don't think it's working. HMB

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Heck I LOVE to shoot registered. Do it every chance I get. I wish the close by clubs would throw more registered including Big 50's.

--- Chip King ---

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

It's cold in Michigan this time of year....

5. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

The problem is ATA PRACTICE. The ATA is ALL about competing!!! There has been a big push here in the upper midwest to water down shoots to where there are NO TROPHIES of ANY sort. Flat out ATA PRACTICE. If I cannot compete why should I shoot ATA???? I can stay home and shoot as much "practice" as I want. You cannot set-up a system where there are maybe only your state shoot or the grand where you "actually" compete. Someone better fix this soon or the ATA will fade to black. I for one will never be a patron of a club that throws ATA practice!!!!!

GS

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I like to shoot registered, but it's not that easy for me. First I have to drive quite a ways. Then I have to spend three or four times what I do for practice at my local range. And, since I stink, it ends up the same as if I just went to the local range.

So, what's the benefit of going to registered shoots? I like the competition, but it's hard to justify the expense.

7. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Ron: I enjoy registered targets. I dont have all the answers but one problem is lack of information. Middletown is 100 mi one way drive for me...but I enjoy shooting there. Lets suppose I want to go. ATA site says they shoot on Feb. 12,15,19,22. (Wed and Sun.). They dont list a time or WHAT discipline the shoot is. MSC's site says they shoot on Wed. @ 7 ( I assume 7PM) and Sat night..starting @ 12:30 and 2:00. You say you shoot Wed and got there @ 930...three hours before the shoot. No consistenet info. MSC site make no mention of registered targets. Appears to be just a club shoot. I cant tell you how many times Ive drive 1 or 2 hours to find that there is no shoot....or the time was posted wrong. Gas is too expensive for that these days. Maybe have the guys at MSC update their site....or list times on ATA site or something. It gets frustrating. Unfortunately, I dont have any clubs within 50 or so mi. that shoot ATA on any consistent basis. Makes it tough to justify 100-150mi drive to shoot 50 targets.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ditto what BigM said. It's winter and that cuts way down on attendance. Not everyone is diehard enough to stand out in freezing temps to shoot clay birds. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that the older you get the colder it feels. I really do envy the ones that can enjoy themselves shooting when its brutal cold.

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Fix the economy and you'll fix Trapshooting.

There is not much I'd rather do than compete, but I can't spend the farm on it.

10. JES

JES Member

I agree with lack of information. I found more shoots in my area from shooters - trying to look up a shoot they were not mentioned any where. More clubs should use the new category of shoots going on - on this website. I have been in SC since May and have found more information from other shooters.

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I like to shoot registered,

John C. Saubak

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Are you kidding????

My wife and I love competing in the ATA. Anything else, i.e. only shooting local club fun shoots is analogous to masturbation--an exercise in futile self-manipulation without risk.

Guy Babin

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

No offense, but why take a chance of getting a punch for a night of shooting (Big)50 targets at Club Podunk? Also, maybe people don't like the scores they shoot in the dark. I can't imagine the benefit of shooting registered at night 'cept maybe to get you ready for the final shootoffs at the Grand? ;-)

We tried it last summer and you couldn't find the needed 3 ATA shooters, though the Sunday registered shoots drew well. Likely what we're dealing with is, things are so expensive that shooters want the conditions (and the targets) to be perfect, otherwise they won't get off their wallets.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Go to the ATA's website and click on the option on the right side of the page near the middle titled "Shoots Near Me Search". Click on that and it will allow you to enter your Zip Code. It will then bring up clubs near you and list a schedule of their shoots. Change the search radius to 100 miles and you should get plenty.

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I've shot a ton of registered over the years. Its getting hard to justify the cost factor. Its much more fun shooting the games,Oakleys etc. I get real excited when I break a 3rd gun at 80 yards. But I'll probably shoot a 1000 handicap or so,just to be sociable. Clyde Doll

16. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Ron:

Besides your one buddy, who else do you ask to shoot registered?! If you need three, find or mentor a 3rd shooter... Why not mentor a whole squad?

Jay

17. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

I am mainly talking about registered practice on Wednesdays, I realize the weather is a big factor but even when it's nice it's hard to find 3 people. Like was posted the economy I guess.
    Mikkeeh, In answer to your question, There is no designated time, they open at 10:00am and shoot ATA whenever there's 3 people, all disciplines, same goes for Sundays.
    I guess I just miss the olde days and wanted to vent a little

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Started shooting trap by shooting registered events but gradually decided that I was spending more money and driving more miles to do what I could do locally for less.

The bickering and nit-picking about rules and procedures and the "hurry-up-and-wait" pace of the events took much of the enjoyment out of it. I gave it up years ago and have enjoyed shooting more since then.

Keller

19. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Ron said "There is no designated time, they open at 10:00am and shoot ATA whenever there's 3 people, all disciplines, same goes for Sundays."

Ron: You see my point??? Its just too expensive to drive 200 mi to register 50 targets...and maybe sit around for a couple of hours waiting on people to show up....and MAYBE not get to shoot at all.

BTW...what the heck is "registered practice.??"

20. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

I understand, I only have about 40 miles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.