1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know Winchester M23 serial number dates?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by djldb6, May 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djldb6

djldb6 Member

Hello,

I recently purchased a Winchester Model 23 from Flabigpapa (excellent transaction) and was wondering if anyone had any additional resources to use the serial number to determine what date it was made? Is it critical I know exactly what year the gun was made....no. I'm just curious and can't find anything via Google that has been helpful.

It is a Winchester 23 Pigeon XTR SxS, 25.5 inch barrel and it has Winchokes. They started making them around 1979 and stopped somewhere in the mid-late 80's. I think the Winchokes put it in the mid 80's but it isn't a lightweight, just a regular XTR.

The serial is PWK205xxx E if that is helpful, but I can't find any specific date info based upon the serial.

Any help someone could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I have the book called "The Winchester Book", 1 of 1000 edition by George Madis.

It was printed in 1985, and the only reference to the Model 23 in the statistics portion is "Made from 1976. Still produced"

No mention of the 23 in the regular text of the book.

About 3 years ago, I was involved in the sale of a complete set of NIB Model 23's, in all 4 gauges, and all had the same serial number!

Included with each gun was the shipping carton, box, hard case, and I believe a soft gun sleeve, all from the factory.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

3. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Dan, 32nd Edition Blue Book Listing..Model 23 XTR..1978-1986 Model 23 Pigeon Grade..add 20% for 20ga.
    Single Trigger,VR,auto ejectors,scroll engraving,coin finish,blue barrel,checkered select walnut stock and forearm.
    Is all the info. that I was able to Find. Thanks Again,Glad Your Enjoying it. Shoot Well...Shoot Often with Family and or Good Friends, Bart

4. 7815wayne

7815wayne Member

I believe a fire at the Japan factory destroyed records on the 23 and 101 manufacturing dates. You might contact Dawson Doubles as they are active in selling these shotguns. Wayne

5. djldb6

djldb6 Member

Thanks everyone,

That was all I could find on it as well. As I said, knowing the exact year isn't critical I was just curious. I love the gun and look forward to shooting it a long time.

Dan

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I aquired a new in box 23 Heavy Duck serial number 50 back in the 80's. wish I still had it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
serial numbers for winchester model 23
winchester 23 serial number lookup
winchester 23 serial numbers
winchester m23 xtr
winchester model 23 manufacture dates
winchester model 23 serial number dates

winchester model 23 serial numbers

winchester serial numbers and dates