1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know Phil Sims- Stockmaker?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gbatch, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Anyone know Phil Simms- Stockmaker?

Saw a stock today with some awesome checkering. The owner said it had been done by Phil Simms. Does anyone know how to contact him or where he is?

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. bentbarrel

bentbarrel TS Member

He lives near Grand Junction, Colorado. Here is last email address I had for him - walnutmaker@aol.com - I believe he makes all the stocks for Seitz guns.

Gary

3. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear GBatch,

Phil Simms
    3194 B Mesa Avenue
    Grand Junction, Colorado 81504

970-523-9566

He does checkering and wood work of the highest grade.
    Jet Boat Bill......Webster, NY

4. 870TB

870TB TS Member

Gary said;

"I believe he makes all the stocks for Seitz guns."

I have a Simms stock on my Seitz, and it's excellent.

However, Simms and Wenig both make stocks for Seitz according to Jerry Phillips.

Adios, Dirk

5. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Thanks guys. Once again the full depth of knowledge of the folks here amazes me.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

6. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

To Brian and Kelly, That job turned out to be a giant headache for me and due to his special problem has taken a lot of trials to get the problem solved. You tell him his gun will be shipped to him completed next Monday. I won't do another like it. thanks Phil Simms

7. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Markslc, It's truly nice to hear SOME people truly appreciate all the hard work that goes into the art of stock making and appreciate the fact that I do understand what the real shooters need to win. My current list of ALL-Americans is true testament to this FACT. Unfortunately some have nothing better to do than complain about something they aren't even involved in and do not have ALL the facts. Thank you to all the guys who appreciate what ALL US stockmakers go through-- and I do mean ALL!!!!! And yes I sign my name Phil Simms

8. JStephens

JStephens TS Member

Phil,

You make the most comfortable stocks I've ever put my hands on......Had one on a Silver Seitz and now a MX-10, I purchased both guns second hand.

Keep up the great work.

John Stephens, Pasco WA

President WSTA

9. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

JStephens, Thank you for your post here--it means a lot to me to know that hard work pays off in more ways than one. You have one of the best guns out there. Thanks! Phil

10. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Brian&Kelly Once again sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong. The man did not purchase or did he pay for a forearm. I would be more than happy to make one if requested. I'm out! Phil P.S. Am I missing something here??? Is this your gun or the man who paid for it?????????????

11. pdq

pdq Member

Phil:

I recently spoke to Rich Phillips, and I believe there's a chance that you're working on my stock right now. Don't let the lone complainer get to you -- there's one in every crowd.

Pete

12. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Pete, I am in fact working on your stock as we speak--- well email. It will probably be done late next week. Unfortunately it is nicer wood than the photo Rich sent me.. Just kidding about the unfortunate. I noticed the guy removed the last post just before yours and mine HMMMMMM. Whats up with that. I don't understand some of the negative things I read here on TS. It's unfortunate to say the least. Please email me and let me know how you like your new gun after you get it. Thanks for the post! Phil S.

13. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mr. modest Phil Simms also does the beautiful woodwork you see on the Dawson Stock Lock setups. None nicer. Harv Shell.

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

15. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Phil:
    It looks like you've been the victim of a 'hit and run' or perhaps more appropriately called a 'post and erase'. This describes what happens when folks make posts based on hearsay or gossip and then get called on it; when they get called on it, they seem to decide that erasing all evidence absolves them of any responsibility. As kids, we used to call it 'taking it back' (of course, we all know you couldn't really take anything back though.

I see this happening with increasing frequency. I suspect they somehow believe it saves them from embarrassment. I know it saves them from having to post facts to back up what they said - and therein lies the real reason they erase their posts - they usually can't back up what they posted.

I am still working on getting my stock ready to ship to you for checkering. It's going to be 6-8 weeks before that happens. I will call and give you a heads up.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

16. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Thanks Gene and to all the others listed above,, I appreciate your support and the chance to help your shooting! Sometimes appreciation can be hard to come by. Thanks so much! Shoot well!!!!! Phil

17. pdq

pdq Member

Phil:

I realized I hadn't responded as you requested.

The stock for the Silver Seitz you made for me is incredible. When I took delivery of the gun, there were people gathered around at the gun shop when we first opened the Americase, & when they saw the stock you'd made, everyone did a quiet "wow!!!"

In working with Rich Phillips, I had opted for the upgraded walnut, giving him as good an idea as I could regarding what I was looking for in terms of figure, burl, etc. The wood he chose was nicer than what I expected -- that combined with your incredible work results in a stunner of a stock.

Again, many thanks -- I very much appreciate the talent and hard work you used in making it.

Pete

18. lvshooter

lvshooter TS Member

Great guy! Done two stokcs for me and they are perfect. Also does Phil Kiner's work and needles to say Phil is an artist and perfectionist. If itis not right it doesn't leave Phil's place. He has a great set up. New shop behind his home as well as a range and pattereing board. He has numdreds and hundred and hundreds of blanks to choose from

Phil's con tact info is as follows: 2460 South 15 Road, Glad Park, Colorado 81523. 970-523-9566. Best time to catch himis between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Mountain Time

Bob Mc

19. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Yes I know Phil Simms, I've known Phil since 1984 when we both lived in So. Cal. A honest man and a superb craftsman.

I have had a six year retirement from ATA shooting and have started shooting again, two months ago. When I did I decided to purchase a new Krieghoff trap special, which I purchased from another of the good guys, Pat McCarthy, at Dawson's Enterprises. I have just returned home from an appointment with Phil at his shop in Grand Junction,CO.

I can tell you this, you will meet one of the real artists in this business. He will work with you until your shotgun shoots exactly where you want it to, and the wood that is used is outstanding. We even took the gun to the local trap club an shot a couple of rounds with it, wow!!!

I had Pat and Phil supply me with Pat's fabulous Stock Lock system in the new stock, it is so far superior to any other devise out there it's not even close. I shot one round with 11/8 handicap loads and you can't even feel them.

I will be shooting with Phil and his son, Nate, at Sparta on the last 400 targets. It's great to be back.

Tom Strunk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
phil simms stock for silver seitz
phil simms stock maker

phil simms stockmaker

phil simms stocks
phil simms stocks 870
phil simms trapshooter
phil sims custom stock maker
phillip simms stock maker