1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone know of a good chart for foot position

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by halfmile, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Check Remington's website. They had the stuff from the Fundamentals of Trap" pamphlet I used to hand out. It had all the basics in it, and I still use those hold and foot positions.

HM

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Kama Sutra

3. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho Active Member

The Remington info is really good. I've been using it to help me get started out. It will get you in the right direction and then you can adjust from there.

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The Remington info is great. I remember seeing it in a book entitled Trapshooting with D. Lee Braun and the Remington Pros. The foot position and hold point info was in a large fold out chart attached to the back of the book. it is now included on the Remington web site.

All I might add is to never get yourself into a position where you are off balance.

I try to stand relatively straight up with a slight forward lean. I try to avoid leaning to the left or right as this causes me to miss birds, especially hard angles.

If you really want to learn foot position and hold points, get a job scoring for several squads of good shooters. No two may be alike but they have many good things in common. To me, they all look very confident and comfortable when they shoot.

Also, when scoring for good shooters, observe the slight delay from when the bird appears and when they swing to pick up the bird. They see the bird and then shoot the bird.

Ed Ward

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Arthur Murray has a bunch.

Don't make it that intricate for trap shooting though, you will wind up looking at your feet and not the target.

Simple approach: point your lead foot (left if you are a righty, right if your are a lefty) where your gun is going to start. The other foot is about a shoulder's width behind and angled slightly away from the lead. The exact placement will just be something that feels stable yet natural and allows freedom of movement from the hips up. It looks a bit different for everyone so experiment with it to get your best fit.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Your range of foot positions will be determined by how flexible you are. Ideally you are all locked in and your upper body moves as a unit, like the turret of a naval rifle. So position your feet so you don't run out of room to move. Otherwise, you'll come out of the gun.

I'm right handed and position my so I face the top right corner of the pad on Post 3. I open it up a little (stand facing a little more left) for Post 2 and more for Post 1. I do the opposite for 4 and 5. That way, the arc I am able to rotate through coincides with the arc the targets will fly over. If I forget to open up one one, I run out of "turn" and don't catch up to the target.

Harlen Campbell teaches this technique for doubles. I modified it a tad to suit me for singles, but you get the idea.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The way to start is with good foot position. All you need is a black magic marker. Next time you are at the range, wait for the best shooter at the club to start shooting. While he is on the line outline his foot position with the magic marker on each station. HMB

8. locdoc

locdoc Member

your bad ! :)

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

ZZT had the correct answer.. Foot position is one of the MOST critical points of trap shooting.. The foot position will dictate when and where you run out of swing.. Everyone is different.. depending on age,flexability ,weight,etc.. You'd be amazed what 1" and which way your toes are pointed can matter... Again.. a GOOD coach is the best thing you can have when determining what is the correct form for you..

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you are right handed just face the low house for 1 thru 6. Face the High House if you are left handed.

OOPS! That is for Skeet!

Jim Skeel

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A personal rule of thumb I've used for years which works best for me is this. Being a right handed shooter, I place my footing on a parallel line with the most angled target to my left side. I recently shot my very first round of bunker trap and used that same technique and it worked extremely good for me! Of course, for a left side shooter, the opposite right angle parallel target path would be necessary. Adjust feet position as needed for comfort but mainly pointing the left toe in the center of the field for the most extreme angle.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

chart showing foot position in trapshooting

foot position chart for trap shooting
foot position in trapshooting
foot trapshooting
left handed skeet foot position
skeet foot position chart