1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know of a 1500fps 1 oz w/10,000 psi or less

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Looking for one listed in a reloading manual, am going to e-mail Alliant also.

Gary Bryant

2. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Why would you want one? The velocity bleeds off more rapidly, and at 40 yds you are left with the same velocity level as if you had started with 1200 fps. This isn't just me talking, but Tom Roster who is generally acceptecd to be the most knowledgable shotshell ballistic expert out there.

I come from a FITASC background, where we shoot L-O-O-O-N-G targets, 50-75 yds. The theoretical lead difference at 40 yds on a crossing target between a 1450 fps. load and a 1200 fps. load is 4 inches. 4 INCHES! Can you hold that close? I can't. Besides, a 1500 fps. 1 oz. load will kick the crap out of you.

I'm sure that Alliant can provide you with some recipes. Just don't expect miracles. Speed doesn't kill. Technique does!

3. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Look at hodgdon international clays powder. BYG

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

notquite27, your data seemed to be in error, so I looked it up. A 50 yard crossing target traveling at 45fps requires 5.5' of lead for a 1500fps shell and 6.4' for a 1200fps shell (7 1/2 shot, IM choke). At 60 yards the leads are 9.9' and 11.5' respectively. Both deltas are larger than the 4" you cite.

Data is from Ed Lowrey's Shotgun ballistics for Windows.

5. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

ZZT,

My question remains, can you hold that close at those distances? I can't and I'm a Master Class shooter. Too much of picking the fly shit out of the pepper! If you are relying on shell speed instead of technique to break your targets, you'll never get to run with the big dogs.

A 110mm target crossing at 50 yds travels at 45 fps. How about a 90mm target? Or a curling battue dropping off at 60 mph 50 yds. out from the gun? Or a quartering incoming target that starts to fade and drop away from you at 50 yds? Your structured, trap based calculations have all just gone into the shitter. Fly shit and pepper. Find a shell that you are comfortable with and concentrate on the target. In the final analysis it is technique, not shell speed, that carries the day.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

nope, ain't happening..

closest looks like International, 1400 at 10,000

7. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Now I know the guy who`s cracking all those buttstocks.

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am thinking more in the line of using Longshot powder, but have to wait until after January 3rd to get an answer from Hodgdon.

This will be an expiremental load I want to try, I already have one in 1 1/8th ounce, was thinking of just reducing the shot charge on it to 1 oz.

I show one w/STS hull/win209 primer/Windjammer wad/35.3 grs Longshot@10,000psi/
    1530fps/ thinking of using an fed 12SO wad/ backoff 1/8th oz shot/to 1 oz
    am thinking it will be around 1600+fps and I know the pressures will be lower.
    But want Hodgdon's suggested criteria first.

I really like the 20 grs Promo/STS hull/WT12 Orange wad/1 oz shot/1310 fps.
    I did have to lower my POI on my Blaser w/this load.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Dr. Longshot,

have you looked at Winchester Super Field powder? I used some once for handicap loads. I was amazed at the velocities and the low preasures. I was under the 1290 fps with 1 1/8 oz. loads but did get a lot of looks as they were loud as hell, especially if a shorter yardage shooter was next to me. only loaded one pound of this and hten went back to green dot. I was just experimenting at the time.

Jim Bradbury

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

nq27, it is your facts I quibbled with, not your conclusion. I shoot Sporting with light 20b loads, 7/8oz #8 @ 1135fps. They work well.

11. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Since you're pushing the envelope in your quest for ultra high velocity, I'm curious why you would limit the pressure to 10,000 psi?

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Ought to BOIL 16 yard targets.

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I don't have the info you wanted but I wanted to share that I don't agree with Notquite27. I love to shoot Scrap and score much better with hot shells. I don't remember the speed off hand but like 21.3 grains of green dot in a one ounce load using Claybuster wads and Cheddite primers. I will score an average of four birds higher with the hot loads compared to standard factory loads. Oh, and did I tell you I love to shoot Scrap. Jackie B.

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Jim Bradbury has the secret formula.........WSF. You're going to have to experiment with 1 ounce loads. I had to do the same thing with 1-1/8 loads in a FGM hull. I called Hodgdon and ask them why is there no data? They told me all their data for WSF comes from Winchester. I called Winchester and they said: send all of your Winchester powder questions to Hodgdon. Good luck.

Wayne

15. Feist Hunter

Feist Hunter TS Member

NQ27, what shell do you generally use? and Dr. Longshot, please let us know what you settle on after talking with Hodgdon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.