1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone know much on the 3901 youth 20 ga

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shaner, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaner

shaner Member

looking to buy a beretta 3901 used from a guy, for a lady friend its the youth model 20 ga , has synthetic stocks sort of a gray color, she thought she would paint a different color, anyone had one? good shotgun for sporting clays? she sort of likes it , cost is 550.00? good price? cant find much online about this model ,

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It's a great auto and basically just a re-marketed 390, the only differences being that there is no mag cut off on the left side of the receiver and the trigger housing is made of plastic instead of cast. I think that you could do a lot better on price though ($400 comes to mind for that model)and if you can find one that has wood instead of plastic, that would be a much better option, wood can be worked with a lot easier when you're ready for the fit department.

The field model has a narrower rib and no center bead, which does present somewhat of a problem when it comes to fitting.

JMHO!

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

The 3901 is a very good gun. The price of $550 is a GREAT price....... for the SELLER. That's about what a new one costs. I don't think they make these in wood stock, but I could be wrong. The narrow rib is no problem at all for sporting clays. I think (but am not sure) that these guns can be adjusted for cast and drop. So, if the LOP is about right for the lady, adjusting the cast on/off is very easy. Check on this feature before buying it.

I shoot my 390 with the shim set to cast ON even though I'm a right hander. It fits me better that way.

Easystreet

4. k newman

k newman TS Member

if the gun is what I'm thinking, the stock has a 1 or 1.5 spacer at the butt that comes off shortening the length of pull. You can buy shims for pitch and such, but they didn't come with it.

Every one I've seen recently has been in the 475 - 550 range. I got a brand new one at walmart when the store was clearing them out for $350 about 5 years ago.

It's been a great gun, still used to this day.

5. shaner

shaner Member

thanks guys forthe info i was thinking of hagglin on price for sure, ill see what comes about, should make her a good starter gun

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I think the 3901 RL 12g is a far better opption. Has adjustable comb, LOP spacers and also has a few shims for cast. Best out of the box adjustability in a auto loader. Check out silverdollorfirearms.com scroll down. Call mike he may work with you on a price?

7. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i wud second that comment on a 3901 target RL- that 12 ga with 7/8 oz loads will have less recoil than the 20 ga cheaper 3901. dont ask me how -but it does and you will have all the adjustments! spending a lil more money will pay off later.

8. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

My 12 yr old uses a Urika 391 Parallel Target with an RL stock, and shoots 1 oz 2 3/4 dram equivalent shells.

Just about the same bang as a 20 GA shell with 2 1/2 dram equivalent -- the small additional weight of the 12 GA offsets the dram eq.

9. shaner

shaner Member

some more good input, the 12 scares me for her the added wieght iam not sure she could handle on a 50 bird round?

10. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

i bought one for the wife at gander 500 new she thought it kicked like a mule got a 390 trap she loved it said it kicked alot less and its not much heavier

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

shaner, A few at home exercises at home will build up the muscles, just practice mounting the gun 3 sets of 15 3 times a week on both sides and the weight of the gun will be not an issue. my 5'2" petite wife shoots a browning gold after a while the muscles built up. Also resale will be much better on the 12g

12. shaner

shaner Member

thanks again fella's lot of food for thought , i have found the price is a bit high so and i would agree on the 12 for recoil i have a 20ga rem 1100 and it would get you now an then, i use 7/8 oz in my 11 87 and it works great ,

13. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I have a 3901, great gun highly recomended wish I had the higher grade model.

Ronbo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.