1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know an engraver Paul Cravener or Kravener?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hunter870, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter870

hunter870 Member

Back in the 70s and 80s, Dad knew a fellow in Western Pennsylvania who did some very nice firearms engraving. I still have a couple of examples of his work. I never met him, but his name was Paul Cravener or more likely Paul Kravener. Has anyone heard of him?

Dad said Paul worked as a salesman who traveled, and did engraving in his hotel room in the evenings to pass the time.

Dad's gone now, but I am curious as to whether his friend is still around to maybe take on a custom job...

Thanks in advance.

2. revbook

revbook Member

His name is Phil Cravener. He would be up in years now, I haven't seen him in a decade.

Don

3. hunter870

hunter870 Member

Thanks gentlemen,

Interesting...the only work I've seen of his was on some S&W revolvers, a Winchester model 70, a customized Springfield 03A3, and a Model 12 receiver and barrel Dad left me (still in white) that I have no idea what to do with...deciding whether to try and finish the project. Beautiful work on all.

I pulled one of the revolvers out of the safe...a model 19 he engraved around 1980...so I guess it's not the fellow on Ancestry.com. Under a magnifier, I found the engraver signed his initials "PWC". I also recall Dad said something about a preference for working on Pennsylvania rifles.

Guess I'll reach out to Phil Cravener and see if it is the same guy. Looks like Googling him turned up an email address. I'll email him tonite.

Thank you again folks. I've been wondering about this guy for years...and only just thought of sending out a shout to the board for help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.