1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know about the Reminton 7400 Rifle.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rjdden, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I have a chance at purchasing afairly nice Remington 7400 30-06 with a Leapold scope. Been used somewhat hard but still shoots and looks good. Lands and groved look fairly solid no scoure markings whart so ever. It just need some tender lovin care to bring out the best in it. In looks and ability. Possibley getting it at a song and a dance price. Sorry no quotes on this. It's an inside situation for me. Just need some info as to how they shoot and if there are any different oddities to them. It looks pretty much like a Remington 742 in which I had two of these in the past and Loved both of them it just was getting this disesae and not knowing when I'd be back to get involved with shooting so I sold them. This is basicly what ZI have been looking for it is the carbine length. The wood is a little knicked up but like I said a littl TLC would do it some good. Also the bluing looks pretty good to. Same thing. Moreso needs cleaned. But all in all it is a solid Remington Semi Auto. All the innerds are trphlon sealed. This was just like the 742's that I had. This required less maintnamce to it. Cleaning the ports and wipiong it down and properly oiling it would do wonders. Ric.(inPeoria,Az.)

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I have owned three of them. Accuracy sucks, They don't like hand loads, And there picky about what factory ammo you feed them.

Jim

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you get a great deal- go for it-

If your shots are not further than 200 yards and you find a good load ,factory or handload- accurracy will be fine for that range

most people cant shoot beyond that nor will they have a need to

The key is the deal

regards

Gene

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Tron, You can just "kiss my #@#"

Jim

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

should have been a comma after just.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

"You" didn't need capitalization because it was not the beginning of the sentence.

HM

7. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I didn't know this was a grammer checking thread nor did I know this was a an English class. I thought it was TS.COM. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

P.S. Remember, There is the Government way, You'r way and then there is MY WAY!!!

8. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

If it will shoot fairly well at 200 yards then it should shoot as good at 600 yards. Went to snypers school while I was in the Navy. The 742 wasn't that great at accuracy either. But when I got them diled in they were great at anywhere from 4 to 600 yrds. I don't think any of the semi autos are that accurate. If they were then the Military wouldn't recomend the 700's or the 70's bolt action model Remington Rifles. After I finished school I was asked what kind of rifle did I want to use. It will supprise you! I used a 30 caliber carbine with 7 to 12 scope. It would shoot a nats butt off at 100 yards and I could pull a 4" diameter at 200 yrds. It was supposed to be one of the most inaccurate weapons ever used over 100 yards. Now lets exclude the big bore brothers. Like the 50's. These are the next generation snyper rifls that have come. They will be around for many decades to come. Why, shooting a mile or even two miles away from target are a snypers deream. Thanks for all your input everyone!! If the person who still has it, I am leaning toward it greatly. I like chalenges anyway. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

9. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

If you get it be sure to get an extra clip for it. If you ever drop or ding the clip even a little it will jam on you. They like to be kept clean also.
    Dan

10. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Thanks Yeote268!! This is what I wanted to hear, little things about it. What nots and what do's. Keep em commin!! Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

11. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

If you hand load for it stay with the medium speed powders. It is very sensitive to the pressure curve. You can shoot the slower powders, But keep a handful of extractors handy and something to get stuck cases out after it tears the case rim off.

Jim

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

As one who performed warranty service and repair for Remington, the 742 was not Remington's best effort. The chamber tends to be oversized and the extractor is fragile. The magazine IS the bolt stop, and the gun eats mags. The 7400 is a slightly improved version.

If I HAD to shoot a 7400, I would get a chamber brush and clean the fire out of the chamber. Removing the barrel and honing the chamber would not be a bad idea. The barrel is retained by a nut. Investing in a new action spring cannot be a mistake.

Make sure the extractor is in good shape. DO NOT drop a round in the chamber and let it wang shut. Feed them through the magazine.

Use standard speed (NOT "light magnum") FACTORY ammo. The '06 is probably at its best with the 165 gr bullet, except for big critters in heavy woods, where the 180 gr might be a little better.

The tip about long lasting magazines is to use the pump gun mag. It will not lock the bolt open, but will not be destroyed by the bolt slamming into it.

Keep the gun scrupulously clean, and make sure the check ball is in the gas tube under the barrel.

Last but not least, use it for hunting, not high volume shooting.

I am not saying it is junk. There are, however, many better rifles out there. If you can get the gun for a song, then have fun.

I have seen them print MOA groups at 100 yards with heavy bullets.

If you MUST load for it, use AA 2520 or IMR/Hodgdon 4064. In my travels with 30/06 rifles over the decades, I have not found a better bullet weight than the 165/168 or a better powder than Accurate Arms 2520. Faster, yes, but not better. Small base dies, proper trim length, proper O.A.L., a Lee Factory Crimp Die and conservative loads are a must for reloading this rifle.

13. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

The 760/7600 pump gun is a better rifle than the autoloader. A lot more accurate. Almost as fast on the follow-up, too.

14. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Keep it commin people. Great info on this rifle. I did win a couple trophies with the 742 but most of the others were placings in the upper 6es of a shoot. They I found in time they were an very hard rifle to get things started when shooting. But as I said when I got em diled in they shot pretty well. I have a Mouser action k98 this is much better than the autos but it slams into me like a brick being thrown. But the accuracy is three times more than the autos. This Mouser has been acerized and is as smoth as silk when loading. But as I said when shootin it it gives ya a slug that don't quit. I won more trophoies with it than any of the others. Going to get this 7400 just as I said it's a chalange. But keep it commin. Need to know as much as I can find out on these. Thanks Rich.(inPoeriaA.Z.)

15. m70win

m70win Member

Never trust women OR automatics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

My first rifle was a 742 and it killed a bunch of deer. That said... save a few extra dollars and get a Browning Bar as you will never regret it. The Browning is much more accurate. Needless to say that isn't what you were asking but we only live once and you owe it to yourself to have a really nice auto to shoot those running bucks with. Jeff

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

The 742 receiver did have a short service life. The 7400 is a better design. As was stated, if you carry it a lot and shoot it a little, the gun will serve you well in the field. :^)

18. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.