1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Know About the Remington 1100 Sporting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rjdden, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I went to Cabala's the other day and held and mounted one of the Sporting Model 1100's. The wood looked great and the feel was quite nice. I have owned several 1100's in the past but not one like this one. The others were great basic fiels grades. Does any one out ther own one and has anyone shot one? I would like info on it if possible. I am thinking of purchasing one for trap and such. Rich. (inPeoria,A.Z.)

2. shotgun4fun

shotgun4fun Member

I have one in each of the four gauges. I use them for sporting clays. I am very happy with them. I have found that they shoot a little to low for me to be successful on trap.

3. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I have a sporting 12 and 28 gauge. Both have great wood and function well. My 12 ga has about 5-6,000 rounds through it. Go for it!

4. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

This gun is high on my agenda as a purchase after the first of the year gets here. But I still would like to hear from others that own and shoot one of these guys. As I said in the first post, I have had 1100's before and know all about the upkeep of them. But I just want to know the in's and out's of this model. Sounds to me like You "Duckman" and "shotgun4fun" like this model fairly well. I really would like to hear from others to that own and shoot it. Thanks, and Keep Comming with the info!!!

Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've shot all but the .410. The 28ga is a real gem.

You're right, these do shoot very flat. I prefer a monte carlo stock to raise the POI. I didn't go with a Sporting 20. I bought a 20ga 1187 Premier instead, and put a monte carlo stock on it, simply because I wanted a dual purpose gun for upland shooting as well. I'd like to get the 28ga and .410 when my budget allows.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I shot 1100's for years and like them, though I shoot a Beretta 391 now and I like that, too.
    When the 1100 sporting came out it replaced the 11-87 sporting which never really caught on. Design wise, I think an 1100 with a 28" barrel is the perfect sporting clays gun. When the 1100 sporting models came out a whole bunch of them had beautiful wood, and even recently those guns were selling for under $ 700. However, quality wise, the 1100's of now are not the same gun as the 1100's of the 70's. It seems there are things that break on the new guns that never broke on the old ones.

The biggest complaint I've heard about the new 1100's is that sometimes the chokes are not threaded perfectly concentric and the gun shoots off-center. I would check that if you can before your buy.
    You will find that the rem-chokes have a tendency to loosen as you're shooting. The Beretta's chokes do the same thing, and shooters just get in the habit of tightening them between stations. It's not a big deal.

It's my opinion that the 1100 never got popular as a sporting clays gun because Remington wouldn't sponsor the top shooters like Browning and Beretta did. I think it's every bit as reliable as the Beretta 391 and the Browning Gold automatic.

A couple years ago, Remington tried to follow Beretta and Browning in the high end automatic market with the Competition Model. It had a lot of interesting features, but at twice the price, it's not as good a gun in my opinion as the Sporting 12.

If you ever saw Leo Harrison or Daro Handy shoot their 1100's, you'd have no doubts about the gun whatsoever.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    From what I've seen, the 1100 is as reliable as the Beretta. Both are a lot more reliable than the Browning Gold.

The 1100 choke issue is past history. Remington sunk over a million dollars into new equipment about a decade ago to put an end to this.

The 1187 Sporting Clays model and the 1100 Sporting 12 are basically the same gun, with the exception of the forend and mag tube. The 1187 has a shorter mag tube and forend, which is supposed to make it lighter and swing better. The difference isn't all that much. The 1187 Sporting Clays model, despite the shorter forend and mag tube, uses regular light contour barrels. The 1100 Sporting 12 is a hybrid 1187/1100. The receiver is an 1187, using the 1187 bolt. The mag tube and gas system is 1100. There isn't much difference from a practical standpoint of a target 1100 gas system and an 1187 target gas system, though there are subtle differences in physical layout. For example, the gas ports are 2/10" (.200") closer to the muzzle on the 1187. Even the barrel retention is the same now on the 12ga models.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.