1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone know about pmc optima primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by browning820, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. browning820

browning820 TS Member

having trouble finding winchester primmers found some pmc optima but cant find a lot of data or any one who has used them

2. missemucho

missemucho Member

A friend gave me 1000 PMC years ago, but they were made in Russia. Used mild Winchester info with no problems (duck, incoming from the primer police)!
    John

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Gamaliel sold them about three or four years ago. They claimed they were similar to the Winchester W209 primer. I asked if they had any specific data to back that up and they just said that the manufacturer had made that claim. The usual story, tastes like chicken and loads like Winchesters. I was once told that they (PMC) were bought out by Wolf, but I would not bet the farm on that. I just looked for the highest pressure load with the least amount of powder with whatever primer produces that, as a basis for loading them. I would be certain that the data I used was low enough in pressure to allow for whatever change in pressure there might be, and still be within reasonable limits. I used them in the Estate/Federal paper base wad hulls and tossed them after one loading. I don't remember if the primers were oversized, since I never really had a need to check them and never really used them in anything but the throw away hulls. I had about 20,000 and they are long gone. They all went bang and never had problems in colder weather. Loads chronographed close enough to what I was expecting.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Were made in Russia. Bought out by Wolf. About the same as Winchester 209. Heavy duty primer cup, takes a good firing pin hit to ignite. Very good primer. HMB

5. Hemlock

Hemlock Member

I’d second what HMB said. I bought 5000 a few years ago from a BuyAmmo.com vender at a gun show. He said they were a little oversized. I didn’t mic them, but they sure worked well. Never had any kind of problems with them. I used them in throw-away loads. Comparing them to Winchester and Remington, I would say they’re more like Winchesters.

Later, Ken

6. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I just finished 5,000. They worked fine. They are not oversize. They left a little more unburnt powder in the bore than either Rio's or Federal's. JRM

7. Eyemissum

Eyemissum TS Member

I have used about 20,000 of the PMC primers an have had absolutely no problems with them. Not a single FTF. I use them in place of the W209's in the 12, 20 an 28 ga. Still use Winchester primers in the .410.

Have about 55,000 more to use up. I'm happy with the PMC primer. Just wish I could find some more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.