1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know about oil heat furnances?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    In my neighborhood most of the homes were made in 1938, including mine. The majority of us have oil heat. Recently, the heat was on and we heard a very loud noise coming from our basement. It was so loud we almost fell off the couch.

It sounded like someone closing the trunk gate on a truck?? I checked the basement and saw nothing wrong. I even went outside thinking there was either an accident or someone loudly closed a gate on a truck, and found nothing.

This morning, same thing happened, only not as loud as before. The heat is on, and when the blower is about to blow heat into the vents we heard the same noise. I have a call into a repairman, anyone know what the problem might be?
    Steve Balistreri

2. d.delph

d.delph TS Member

Steve, I have had oil heat for years and about the only thing that could make that much noise , which is not good, is that the gun (nozzle) is really dirty and the pump is pumping oil into the heat exchanger and not lighting. When the electrodes finally spark you will get a forced ignition almost like an explosion,not to scare you, but that is what it sounds like to me. If it is doing this when the furnace is trying to start, it is probably what I stated. If it is when the fan comes on,there is usually a fan problem ie. motor loose,drafting too much air causing the ductwork to rattle, belt needing adjusting, or something in that area. If it is when the furnace is lighting, as above, make sure you get it serviced ASAP. Might need a new nozzle to get it back to normal. Can be dangerous, again not to scare you, if I were there I would gladly help. Hope this at least helps. Dan Delph.

3. copper

copper Member

I had oil for years worked on it myself is very simple to remove nozzel and replace take apart pump there is a cup like sceen easy to clean. make sure you get same nozzel has number on it % . then change your filter and put treatment in your fuel oil tank on occasion. good luck. Don,t let tank run low sucks up crap clogs nozzels.

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Steve, If it is what dan described you will see a lot of black smoke billowing from your chimney right after the sound. This bang your hearing might be coming from sheet metal flexing from the heat that sounds like a truck tailgate closing.

5. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

If it is your duct "tin canning" and it just started maybe check your air filter.

Scott

6. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I think Scott is on point

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I gotta admit not knowing diddly squat about it even though having oil heat...I have a service contract with my oil company and its a bargain considering they take care of both the furnace and the AC,...Please err to the side of caution Steve!..don't wanna lose you and your family to Carbon Monoxide poisoning

8. Tracer

Tracer Member

Hello Steve,
    I have a heating & A/C company and we do service work on a lot of oil furnaces.
    It sounds like to me that you are getting late ignition and as mentioned above, there is excessive oil in it's atomized state in the combustion chamber when it finally does ignite. It can be caused by several things. One is a partly plugged spray nozzle. Another is out of adjustment electrodes. Another is a weak transfromer giving poor high voltage but that would be very low on the list. Another is low oil pressure at the pump not allowing the oil to atomize properly. It should have a minimum 95 lbs. of pressure. A plugged screen in the pump or a plugged oil filter is probably not the problem as you are getting enough oil to cause ignition. I would just about bet on a partly plugged nozzle not atomizing the fuel properly. They are easy to change. Make sure the numbers on the new nozzle are the same on the new one. You will have an orfice size (like .75) and also a spray angle degree (like 70 deg or 80 deg) in the flame retention high effeiceny burners made by Beckett. If you do change the nozzle be sure and wash out the gunline assy. with something like spray break-clean before installing the new one. (use only non-flamable kind) To check the electrode adj. you should see about 1/8 inch gap between electrodes and sticking about 1/16 past the end of the nozzle. Be sure to turn off the power to the burner as the transformer will have aprox. 10,000 to 16,000 volts in it and can curle your hair. Hope this helps.
    Del

9. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

Change to gas heat alot more cleaner and more reliable /

10. need to shoot more

Look I think its great that we can all log-in and ask a question and get a couple of replies and put us in a direction of thought. I DO NOT AGREE WITH explaing repairs to a lay person. I know we all want to profess our smartness but really setting up a oil furnace.... where does the smoke and draft measures come in ???? Ever see a good puff-back on a forced air system???? it ain't pretty.

11. senior smoke

My heating and ac man is my son in law's, brother in law. He has worked in this business a long time. I forwarded all your suggestions and he is planing to come over today with his equipment. He said all had good possible suggestions to check. I will let you know what he finds when he is done. Thanks for your responses.
    Steve

12. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I just got to ask. Your furnace is not 73 years old is it??? I live in Northwest Ohio and several years ago we rebuilt an older home in the country and it had a 1970's or so oil furnace in it. Well we kept it going for about two more winters and when a natural gas line came down the road I popped for a high efficiency nat gas furnace, in fact I about did a double back flip when I first hear about the gas line I was so happy!! Bill

13. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Yes, get out of the 19th century and join the 21st and get a high efficiency gas furnace. Worries gone.

Tim

14. senior smoke

My oil furnance was installed in 1993. I love oil heat and find it safe and cheaper than gas. As a child my parents had a gas stove that exploded and my father was burned and injured. My house has no gas line, as it is mostly electric. We have only one neighbor that uses gas on my block.

Only one person switched to gas from oil and wishes he would have stayed with oil. I have a 275 gallon tank, and I have a 4 bedroom home. The kids have moved out and we shut off the vents to the two bedrooms upstars in winter. I usually have to get two oil fills per year. Last year if memory serves me correctly oil between $3.00 to $3.75 range.

With that being said, the repair man came over this afternoon and he said he read all your responses. He felt most of you knew what you were all talking about. He said the gap was to large?? He is coming over tomorrow with some other part that he feels it needs. The part cost $119.00, he also cleaned and put a new nosel on. He said he has all the parts already and he wants my wife to make him a cheese cake, and wants me to give him a trapshooting lesson and he will call it even.
    Steve

15. need to shoot more

the gap he is refering to is the distance between the ingtion tips ( electrodes) this would cause a delayed ingtion and offer a nice rumble once she caught, kinda like lighting a closed gas grille with the propane building up then she lights.
    Jim Z

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

oil furnance making loud igniting sound