1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know about Lugar pistols

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shot410ga, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

My father-in-law passed away and left me a 1916 Lugar (all matching numbers, some pits, 80% blue) he picked up in the Battle of the Bulge. Can anyone advise where I can find any information on this pistol.

Thanks, Jim

2. jmas

jmas TS Member

http://www.answers.com/topic/luger-pistol

This may answer some of your questions

jmas

3. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Try http://www.hlebooks.com

http://www.lugerforum.com

http://www.gunsworld.com/p08/p08_east_us.html

http://www.joesalter.com/listings.php?

You will have to remember something. Alot of those guns were put together with what ever parts were around. If you have one that is all matching parts with all its tools and holster you do have something. You need to first find out if you do or don't have a gun with all matching parts. Then you need to find what model it is and then look and see what others are selling for. Be carefull and do not sell it to fast because you may sell it to cheap. One of my fathers friends bought one for $1000.00 at a gun show and was looking it over when someone came up and asked how much he wanted for the gun. He did not want to sell it so he said $3000.00. The guy pulled out a wad of money and gave him what he ask for it. They all look at him and said good job $2000.00 profit. HA HA HA. One of them looked at him and noticed that he was not that happy so they asked why are you not happy? He said Now I want to know what I had and how much it was really worth. be carefull and do your homework.

4. shot410ga

Thanks, Horse Trader.

Matching numbers, no tools or holster. Looks in good shape. Thanks for the info. I'm not interested in selling it, just would like to find out a little about the gun.

5. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

The pitting you mentioned will hurt the value some. Your gun should have a wood based clip to be correct but knot always the case. Lugers made by DWM are some what nicer than Lugers made by Erfurt. With out seeing your Luger the value could be in the $800.00 plus or minus range. Keep in mind if it is Police marked or some other marking it could be worth more.

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I recently bought three off ts.com, all matching numbers and in excellent shape.

I was $450 and the other two were $550 each. One came from Canada thanks to a ts.com friend.

Whiz White

7. rslus

rslus TS Member

Even the serial number on the magazine clip is important too. If that has the same serial numbers as the rest of the gun, value goes up.

Bob S.

8. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

whiz white you got a very good buy on those guns. Its tough to find shooters now days for that money. Back in the 80s i had 30 Lugers in my collection with most of them being S/42 or post 1934.

9. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I found this 1942 byf with all matching SN except for the clip. It has all the necessary Nazi proofs marks. I found it for $550 after looking for a long time.
    It's the one old gun I have that I just as soon not know it's history.

10. Wayne In ny

Wayne In ny TS Member

Ned a ejector for mine. Whats the best place to buy one. Fun gun to shoot. I have a holster with the guys name inside the flap.

11. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

just a little game to play...............

HOW MANY DIGITS ARE THERE IN A any LUGER's SERIAL NUMBER?????????????????????????????

AL

12. marotta

marotta TS Member

There is a Lugar dealer here in Connecticut. Military lugars.

Jay Hansen knows anything you may want to know about lugars. His business deals with military arms and guns in general. Recently he acquired a large supply of lugars, some affordable some very collectible.

Give him a call, and tell him you got the name from Trap shooters . Com.

Jay Hansen
    Hansen & Company
    244 Old Post Road, Southport, CT 06890
    (203) 259-7337

Raffaele

13. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

HOW MANY DIGITS ARE THERE IN A any LUGER's SERIAL NUMBER?????????????????????????????

Between 1 and 10,000.

So if there are 5 digits in the usual serial number, and my memory is that 9999 (4) is the top end. And there were how many hundreds of thousends made?

that is why when I was a kid, when someone picked up a new to them Luger, with mismatched numbers, everybody that had ever been known to have a mismatched Luger got either a call or was asked about, does ole ____________ still have that mismatched Luger I'd like to check #'s and see if he will trade parts.

there where a couple old boys that had a real good Knowledge of what finish certain ERA's of Luger's should have and not ony could duplicate them but also retouch the letter edges so that after they where reblued they would fool a lot of people that thought they had real knowledge of Lugers, by the time I was ten they couldn't sell a Luger within a hundred miles of here, I don't know that I ever knew names and they where really ol'e guy's when I was ten, and that was thirty PLUS years ago.

so LET THE BUYER BEWARE

and

That is why I don't get into colecting, any fine old firearms, you purchase the knowledge of what is a good piece and what is common, DEARLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I try to know what should have collectors value.

and what has a shooter value.

because a refinished shooter value firearm will not lose value in refinishing,

while a priceless tressure can loose everything and may not even achieve shooters value in having any little piece be retouched!

Al

14. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

My father had one and it had four numbers along this metal strip area before the safety. No one could tell what they were for. Until he, My father came up on this ol Germin who I understood worked for the people that made this weapon at one time. He told my father that the four numbers could be the officers identy numbers that they had scribed on the pistols. There were four places these numbers could be. The other three I don't remember where they were. But one was on this metal area as I said. My father took to this and did some reserch and found out it to have belonged to some Colonal who was in the 5th Panzer division. All the serial numbers were the same even the one on the one clip. There were two clips for this pistol. Both clips had this officers four numbers on them. The one clip, it's serial numbers were different but the four numbers were the same as I had said. Rich. (inPeoriaAz.)

15. shot410ga

The only numbers on my Luger is 1916 and all matching #97. Perhaps that's the serial number "97."

16. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

The gun does have a S# say 7539579877. On the other parts of the gun they will take the last 2 or 3 numbers and put those on all or most of the parts. 877 or 77. If there are any other numbers other then the last number of the S# then you have parts that were pelaced or parts gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.