1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone interested in a Lab?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Pocatello, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

This is a female, about four years old, spayed. She is purebred but not AKC registered as far as we know. She was raised in a house with kids and was very good with them. She has about a year of professional training, is reasonably steady and will do double marks and elementary blinds. She was left with the professional for training, but after about six months the owner stopped paying the bills and has not responded to efforts to contact him for well over a year. The pro no longer is willing to train her for free at the expense of his other dogs, and is interested in finding a good home for her. The cost would be very reasonable, perhaps even free to the right home. She is located in SE Idaho.

I'll try to get a picture up soon.

If you are interested, shoot me a PM, and I'll get you contact information.

2. dhip

dhip Active Member

Meth,aphetimine,OOps,sorry wrong kind of lab,,,

Doug H.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I wish you good luck...a wonderful dog like that deserves a good family to love

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Thanks, Calvin. I've already had a couple of responses and have passed the contact information on. I hope to have a picture soon.

5. CalvinMD

If I was in better health and she wasnt so far away I'd take her myself..she'd be a perfect companion to my 5yr old black female..a dog that nice will be scooped up quick I'm sure..glad shes got someone like you in her corner Poca...us dog people are just a bunch of ol softies : )

6. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Black. Three inquiries have had contact info supplied. One has called already and has received some pictures. Hopefully she'll find a new home soon. She is a sweetheart, but then most retrievers are - great people dogs.

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Please let us know if the leads don't work out. We are in Maryland, but could take her in.

Guy Babin

8. avery53

avery53 Member

Geez, I just lost my beloved Brit a week ago, if I were closer.........

Broken hearted in Michigan

avery

9. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Where in Michigan?

My first bird dog was a female Brittany, bought in September 1974 from Larry Gabriel, located about halfway between Niles and Berrien Springs on US 31. I had her for about 13 years before I had to put her down - bladder cancer. She was a great pheasant dog.

10. avery53

avery53 Member

I'm in Atlanta, just west of Alpena.
    She would have been 14 in July, still hurts just thinking about her.
    Holding her while the vet put her to sleep was heart-wrenching. Going to be a while getting over it.

avery

11. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I feel your pain. It's always hard. Cherish the memories.

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

avery, went through that almost two years ago with Alder who almost made 16. Best dog I ever had, hunted for 15 years, a little slow in the last one-but a real special guy. Through the death of a dear friend, I ended up with young english setter. You need to get another bird dog to keep you occupied. Best wishes, Bob

13. avery53

avery53 Member

Thanks guys, I'm hoping this spring or summer to get another Brittany. It will probably take that long to get over this one.
    I'm not sure I could survive another Brit pup at my age, they sure are rascals. LOL

avery

14. CalvinMD

If you get her Guy...I'll bring Asia to the shoots so they can horse around together
    calvinmd_2008_0303116.jpg

15. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I just got back from training today, with some pictures. Her name is Sadie. As I said in the first post, she is about four years old, and spayed. She is a leggy athletic dog, and quite friendly.

We started her out with a few hand-thrown bumpers down the driveway. She retrieved them with enthusiasm, and delivered to hand. She was reasonably steady, but not absolutely so. We then went out with three of our young dogs. We are working on teaching them to retrieve a blind before a mark they have seen thrown, and then picking up the mark afterwards. This is in preparation to do "poison bird" blinds they may see in field trials. Anyway, we had three pairs, with the blinds either tight behind the gun or tight to the thrown bird. The earlier blinds also provided some suction for the later marks. Anyway, the first pair was mark about fifty yards, blind about 70, second mark was about 70 yards, blind about 100, third was mark about 130 yards, blind about 180. With Sadie, because she is not nearly advanced as the other dogs, we did mark first, then blind.

Her first mark was very nice, and the blind a little rough, but as good as many dogs I saw compete in a licensed AKC Senior Hunt Test in Nevada a couple of weeks ago. Her second mark was pretty good, but the blind caused her trouble between suction from the previous blind and marks. She eventually got deep of it and ended up picking up the long blind instead. We did not run her on the third pair.

She was steady for the singles, would answer the whistles on the blinds, and would take casts most of the time. As I said earlier, she handles as well as some senior dogs I've seen recently, although she isn't polished. That is not surprising given that she hasn't had much recent training. With work, I think she could be above average, certainly when compared to the usual hunting dog. I'm quite confident she could pass an AKC Junior Hunter Test with ease.

The trainer, Rob, has had several calls about her, but no firm commitments yet. His preference would be to place her with somebody who would hunt with her. She is too nice a dog to just sit around a house or kennel.

Here's another picture of her in the field:

pocatello_2008_030334.jpg

Here's a picture with a couple of the young dogs:

pocatello_2008_030335.jpg

For comparison, my male Rocky is to the right, and is about 75 pounds. His sister Mary is in the center, and is a little under 70. I'd say Sadie is about her size.

Again, for contact information shoot me a PM. We'd really like to find her a home with a hunter.

16. CalvinMD

Up for a beautiful dog ...you need her Guy!!

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Larry, good job guy!! I so hope Sadie finds a good home with a bird hunter that cares for her! She just needs some real one on one attention to become a polished retrieving machine!

Avery, all dog lovers know your pain of losing a great friend. Best medicine for a person that loves dogs is get another asap! Doesn't mean you'll forget your past friends or love them any less either, just spread that love a tad wider! Good luck everyone, especially Sadie and Avery!

Hap

18. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

You expressed it much better than I did Hap. I was a Brit person but there's a pretty little setter that's training me now. :)

19. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I called Calvin... The trainer is looking for someone who'd hunt her and also looking to sell her. He did say he'd call me if he couldn't find a buyer.

She needs a family badly.

I would gladly add her to our family. Our other Lab girl Gaby the Wonder Dog would enjoy the company at home and at the shoots this summer.

Guy

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Up for Sadie!

Bob, we'd love to see a picture of your new love too?

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.