1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone hold a very high gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hdbrs, May 27, 2013.

1. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

im just wondering if anyone here holds a very high gun on the house. i was at 2 shoots this weekend and what i noticed is how the really good shooters held their gun. im talking like 6-7 feet above the house. all they did was move left or right and just hammered targes. i saw other guys who shot good also but im just curious if i was gonna really concentrate on shooting if this may be something to try?

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Harlan advocates a fairly high gun, but not 6-7 feet unless the targets are being thrown exceedingly high. High hold works better for 2-eyed shooters and it also puts a greater emphasis on proper left/right hold points (so that your off-eye can see the bird exit the house without being blocked by the barrel).

-Gary

3. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

i can't imagine these guys are shooting full chokes are they? im thinking modified or im. they seem to shoot so fast a bigger pattern would help.

4. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

The higher the hold, the longer it takes for the bird to get to the point of aim. I tend to hold high, and at a Nora Ross clinic, she noted that I was holding the gun just above horizontal -- that I might want to drop it down some. Good advice, for me. I find I do better with a little more vertical movement. I do hold high, but not as high as I used to. Of course, YMMV.

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I hold my barrel parallel to the ground. The Big Dogs usually shoot full choke, just because they can. :) Mark

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The more advanced shooters generally do start the gun well above the house - usually it looks like the gun is about parallel with the ground. They also run tight chokes, full is common even on the 16.

Now just because they do doesn't mean you should. You can however experiment with your starting point such that you find a 'sweet' spot where you are getting better breaks than with other starts. It may look like the bid dogs just move their gun a little one way or the other but in reality they have been tracking the target just as long as if they had started with a low gun. A lot of their movement comes at waist level.

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The best shooters in every shotgun sport have minimal gun movement. If you can
    shoot a high gun and need very little movement to the target, you minimize the
    chance for error. Dan Bonillas holds a high gun for doubles and has a very short movement to the second target.

The best sporting clays shooter hold their gun very close to the spot where they will break the target, and let the target come to their barrel, rather
    than chasing the target.

This is, however, not easy to do. I can't do it.

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The highest hold I have ever seen, is Mr. Ray Moser. I am thinking a good 10 degrees above parallel. It may have been the targets, but it almost seemed that he had to go down to get a few.

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The gun hold height is a compromise between visibility of the emerging target and the amount of vertical movement of the barrel to hit the target. A high gun hold gives less vertical movement but at the same time there is a sacrifice of visibility because your barrel obscures your on shoulder eye's view of the target. If I hold too high over the traphouse I get in trouble with the crossfire. I think I am too old and have too many targets in my career to learn to shoot with the Harlan Campbell style.

10. Desert Hiker

Desert Hiker Member

The height should be determined by what ever works best for you. Some guys hold high because they are able to spot the clay fast and shoot. Before my cataract surgery I held low on the bunker, but since my surgery I hold about 2-3 foot above the bunker. Ron

11. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I was taught by Jack Bart to hold high gun and only make horizontal moves. works for me.

Let me add, I shoot a high rib unsingle.

12. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Read a book and lowered my hold point. Have not improved and I am about to raise my hold point back where it was!!! Martinpicker

13. hera200

hera200 Member

Was taught to hold a high gun in the 70's by A. Barnhart who was an incredibly fast shooter and was a class winner at the Grand in 1979 I believe.(78?) This gentleman was an extremely fast shooter and there never seemed to be anything but black smoke.(Never used anything but 3DR Federal papers AND A FULL CHOKE BT99) He always said "DON'T CHASE BIRDS, LET THEM COME TO YOU". Gun was always above horizontal unless the birds were low.
    Part of the secret of course was that he knew how to "LOOK THROUGH THE GUN" so he tended to see the bird much quicker than the average good shooter. This was done by looking out into the field with still eyes before calling for the bird. I don't know of anyone who knew this technique back then which most of us are aware of today since most good shooters at the time came from the house with their guns.
    I think anyone using this newer approach should be aware that since most gun movement will be horizontal that this means you have lost most of your vertical follow through and as such,you should probably be shooting a higher stock to build in some of the necessary rise in point of impact. It is very difficult to shoot a high gun hold with a flat shooting gun and I think this is why many who try give up. It is a very relaxing way to shoot and yet fast when you finally get it but its not for everybody.
    Again, eye position and higher stock. Don't let that right hand bird on five catch you blind to it. If you have to, start with your eyes to the right of the gun and don't worry about anything going out to the left, you will see it peripherally and have lots of time to get to it. You may also want to hold the gun closer to the right or left corners than you normally would to prevent any birds trying to hide on you on 2 and 4. If you havn't tried HIGH GUN, give it a go just for fun but don"t expect miracles too quickly. Its a cool feeling to break a bird that comes to your gun instead of having to chase it and a lot less work. GOOD LUCK.......BUD

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The key is hold the gun so you hit the bird at the same elevation all the time. The same movement on each shot. Low targets, drop the gun, high targets raise the gun. It's a timing sport. When I shot International I found out I could hold eight feet in front of the bunker (holding in the grass) and still smoke targets. My opinion....

15. missemucho

missemucho Member

My experience with shooting alongside guys that have a high hold point is that it works well when you have consistent targets and relatively calm conditions. They start to have problems when there's a wind at their back or from the sides. Few trap shooters can go down well on birds below their hold point. I tried the high gun hold a few times but it seemed to contribute to my stopping the gun more. I shoot best with a hold point that allows me to pick up the bird as soon as possible then move to it.

On the 16 yd line I start about 2 feet above the house and drop lower for handicap; the sooner I pick up the bird the better. I do shoot fairly quickly.
    John

16. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I hold my gun about feet above the trap house. Thats were I see the bird the best. You can't hit the bird until you see it good.

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I believe that most shooters would do better holding on the house. To hold a high gun and shoot consistently good scores is an art in itself.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

18. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

When you get a response from an all american you should listen, until then.

19. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Different hold points require different POI to be successful using each format.
    Low hold - Longer-faster move to the target. Requires 60/40 to 70/30 POI to give you the perception that you can touch the bird to break it.

High hold- shorter slower move to target-requires 80/20 to 100/0 POI to give the perception that you are touching the target to break it.

Flat shooting gun with high hold forces you to cover the bird

High shooting gun with low hold forces you to Float the bird to break it.

SO flat poi with low hold works best

High hold with high POI works best for most people.

Each POI is carefully adjusted based on hold point, gunspeed and personal preferance with regard to shooting style.

20. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Whenever I want to miss, more than normal, I try a high-gun hold.

Search tags for this page

anyone using harlin campbel technique