1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone here shoot a .22BR ??? Reloading ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pheasantsgalore, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Borrowed a friends' 40X, like new, in 22BR, and just wondered if anyone had some reloading recipes that worked for them also. Rifle has 1/14" twist, original in every way. Have mounted a scope, and have formed brass, ready for reloading. I know this is a trapshooting site, but just wanted to throw this question out to someone...........Thanks,.......Rob

2. Lew

Lew TS Member

Your best bet is to go to 6mmbr.com and check them out for loading info.

3. pheasantsgalore

Thanks,...I did.

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Another piece of advice, don't waste your money or your barrel life with over the counter bullets such as Sierra matchkings. You want the most accurate bullet which are hand made by bench rest shooters who do it for love of labor. Go to benchrest central, join and post any questions, you will get the best information. Remington 40X rifles are fun to shoot at local ranges, but you would be at a disadvantage trying to compete in a registered match with one. Allie Euber is one person that comes to mind who makes 22 and 6mm bullets, you might want to try some of his bullets.

5. pheasantsgalore

Thanks again, the rifle will be used on prairie dogs, and the like, no benchrest competition. I will definately try to get some of Allie Eubers' bullets. I was also going to try Berger bullets too...Much appreciated.

6. TOOLMAKER 251

Rob, Please disreguard what I said about the custom bullets because the over the counter will work well for what your going to shoot with the gun.

7. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I had a 22BR Dasher for awhile and it was a real hoot to shoot after you had brass formed and easily the most accurate rifle I ever owned. Shot like a lazer.

Take a look at the Sinclair International web-site (and catalog) and they sell some great gear to make super-accurate reloads -- especially their in-line dies with bushings.

There are a lot of people who will tell you their rifle will shoot quarter-inch groups but either a well set up 22BR or 6BR will do it easily if you're up to it.

8. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

I had a 22 BR at one time for PD's. I used Varget and a 50g Vmax screaming out as fast as the primers let me. Shot one hole groups of 5 shots. Mine was a Rem 700 rebarrel with a Blackstar barrel. Mine liked to be seated into the lands hard. I did shoot some BIB and Berger 52g's and could see better groups with them, but main use was the Dogs. Was 15 years or so ago so am not giving specs on powder charge.

9. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

40-Xs all came with a target and the load used by Remington showing that the gun met the accuracy standard for that caliber.. Maybe he can find the original target and load data. For example, every 40-X 22-250 I had (3) all had either 32 or 33 gr of 3031 and the Remington 52 gr match HP with the newest 2 and the Hornady 53 gr for the oldest one.

10. pheasantsgalore

Actually I called and spoke to Keith at custom shop, and after I gave him the serial number, he gave me specifics of this rifle, and actual load data too. Great person to speak to. I didn't realize how expensive the new 40X rifle is now.........Rob

11. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

You can build a custom actioned gun for what a new 40X runs now.

12. TOOLMAKER 251

Green Bay said it right, New 40X $2,500 +. Custom action $1,000 real match barrel installed $500 trigger $250 stock $450

13. pheasantsgalore

Thanks for info, but I originally just wanted info on anyones' reload recipes, I am not in the market for a custom rifle. Thanks everyone,........

14. epmn

epmn TS Member

While I have a pair of 22BRs for prairie dogs built on Tikka Master Sporters, both of the barrels are 1/8s so I am shooting 75 AMaxs. For me the recipe is 28.5 grains of Varget seated .010" off of the lands. If there isn't information that you can use on the 6mmbr.com site you can also look at reloadersnet.com. Also, depending on the bullet the manufacturer should have some information on load data.

epmn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
22 br loads
22 br reloading data
22 br remington brass

22br load data

40x 22br
anyone shooting the 22br

reloading 22 br

wanted 22br brass