1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone here ever shot 'wobble doubles'?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Porcupine, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Anyone here ever shot

It seems to me that shooting 'wobble doubles' would be good practice for bird season. Waddaya think?

LA in MA

2. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

It would be a good event at a 'meat shoot'! I've shot a lot of handicap doubles (from the 22 or 24 yard line)! It makes that 'automatic' first shot a slight angle shot and second shots a lot more interesting! I've always wondered why this didn't become a regular event.

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

A good question would be when was the last time a new type event was introduced to registered trapshooting?

Other than moving to the 27 yard line and eliminating the three hole angle, I can't think of anything new since I started registered trap in 1946.

Shot a great event last week at Evergreen Sportsman's Club. Teams of two shooters shot triples with the center bird thrown from a trap in front of the regular trap house. Good challenge and good fun.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Wobble doubles takes a special trap house lid at our club. With the trap oscillating and going up and down, the high, hard angle targets have a tendency to hit the side walls of the trap house. We have shot doubles "60 bird backers" from the 27 and they are a blast. We put the trap in the 2 hole and turn on the oscillator. Each shooter gets 2 shots (4 shots total) to try to break both birds. If one shooter breaks his target with his first shot, he can help back up his partner with his remaining shot. This is also a ball to shoot at night, under the lights, if you have them. I have yet to see any team run them all.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. shrek

shrek Active Member

Sounds like there are different versions of wobble doubles depending on the abilities of the thrower and the house window.

I have shot a version where they a locked on center (do not oscillate left to right) but only up and down.

And once accidentally shot a round of side to side oscillation but not up and down as they forgot to turn that part off.

Never had the chance to shoot both the up and down and side to side moving doubles, but would be willing to give it a try...

I like the opportunity to mix things up some from the same ol same ol, must be why I like sporting clays so much.

6. spritc

spritc Active Member

We've shot wobble doubles at our local club from a Pat trap and it is fun and very difficult. Our local ATA registered shooters don't like wobble at all, they don't like anything except perfect targets. They don't know what they're missing.

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

We shot doubles that would osciallite side to side, but not up and down. I enjoyed em and a few other guys did too, but then we got to many people bitching. You know - doubles weren't meant to be shot that way, or - they didn't shoot doubles like that 30 years ago.

8. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

Wobble oscillating doubles are a riot to shoot. They are also great practice for ATA doubles. If you shoot good Wobble doubles anything a club throws will almost seem easy.

9. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

27 yard doubles should be an ATA event.

10. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Didnt the ATA try to have a wobble trap event at the Grand in the late 70s or early 80s? Didnt go over to well.

11. 7771

7771 Active Member

yeah handicap doubles

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

ATA suggested it as a possible game. ATA choosing not to register the scores kept most shooters from even trying the game, shame too, a fun game!

No matter how much fun a new game may be, unless ATA keeps records, it ain't gonna fly! Hap

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I shot doubles on a bunker field..when they were playing with me.. From stations 2,3,or 4.. two targets were released at the same time. 90 degree left or right total arc.. with a 0 to 60 degree elevation.. No clue what was going where..and they did not slow the machines down.. I shot a 29/50 which I though was damn good..once I settled down.. Then they told me that was not real bunker doubles.. Doubles of any kind are fun.. I'd settle for singles on a wobble trap until I perfect my shooting.. All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.