1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone having trouble with Rios? Misfires?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jerry944t, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I've been shooting Rios for quite a while and never had a problem with them until now. This weekend, myself and two other people were getting misfires where the primer was dented but the shell never ignited.

Everyone of these shells went off on the second try but it doesn't do much for your concentration. I'm not talking about weak sounding shells but complete misfires.

I thought it was my trigger so I borrowed another with no change. The guns involved were 2 Perazzis and a Beretta.

I then shot 100 reloads with no problem so the gun is not the problem.

I wonder if anyone else is having the same issues. It seems to me that the primers are very hard when comparing the hits with once fired Winchester primers that are in my reloads.

Smash Em,

Jerry

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

We have shot probably 100K of them without problems. Understand they are temperamental in cold weather which we don't have much of in Florida.

TB

3. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

The shell situation is only going to get worse. Alot of the shells that we have checked here at the shop are undersize on the brass area, the hole in the back of the shell where the primer is seated is not in the center of the case. Also the primers have an internal anvil that is not always in the center and if the firing pin misses the anvil the shell will misfire. This is why when you turn the shell it will go off the second time. I have spoken with the head of quality controll at several shell companies and they all have told me that they really don't care about the quality of the shells because if they make them cheap enough we will by them.

Dennis DeVault

4. Jerry944t

My "theory" is that the primer cup metal is harder than it should be so the first firing pin strike isn't sufficient to detonate the explosive between the cup and the anvil.

The second hit, with the cup already deformed, is enough to set off the primer mixture. I've never had one that doesn't fire on the second hit. Regardless it's disconcerting and a failure to fire by ATA rules.

It certainly isn't the gun since a variety of guns are having the same problem, at least locally.

I suspect you are right and things will get worse as this is a newer batch of shells and I never had problems before. I also bet it won't be just Rios with the problem since it's my understanding that they manufacture a number of brands.

Thanks for your reply.

Jerry

5. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Remington Premier STS for me. Even If I have to shoot 1/3 less often to compensate for the cost. And frankly, right now there's still only a #15 dfference per split in Rios vs. top of the line STS shells.

Why spend $10,000 on a hinge action gun like a Perazzi and run CRAP through it?

Dennis told it like it was - Rio sells enough of them cheaply that they DON'T CARE about their crappy quality!

If you owned a $150,000 sports car, would you go to the bottom of the line no-name regional gas retailer, to save 3 or 5 cents per gallon and disregard the fact that the gas they are pumping was sucked out of the bottom of the fuel farm tanks at the shipping terminal? The gas that Mobil wouldn't touch with a ten foot hose?

If you own a $3,000 custom made hunting rifle with a bedded, cryo-treated barrel, and spend another $1,000 or more on top of the line optics - are you going to spend $39 for the cheapest, no-name Scope MOUNTS you can find?

Trust me, I know knuckleheads who've done that! Then they sit there, bewildered why their gun doesn't hold a group after four shots!

I shoot a $475 Remington 1100 and run nothing but high quality ammo and my own carefully assembled reloads that nearly duplicate the factory loadings.
    I have ZERO problems with the gun or its ammo and lets me focus on shooting targets ! So, I pay $6.60 per box instead of $4.50 or something.

Forget Rio. Who wants to do business with a company where they outright admit, they don't care about quality!

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The club I shot most of my Marathon shoots to acquire targets shot a lot of RIO shells in February March Early April. It was not hard to pick out those shooting Rios very off sounding. How many missed shots because of this?????? They where no cheaper than Rem gun clubs or Estates, so I did not bother to try them.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Many off sounding shells in cold weather with greatly reduced velocity, Basewads migrating up in the cases, now failures to fire? I just continue to wonder why I don't bother to use them? Those Wally World "Specials" have a better track record. Cheap is Cheap! You apparently get what you pay for. My reloads have done well for around the same cost or less, if I use premium components. My time isn't a concern for the amount I load for two shooters.

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

I am very surprised at some of the comments made on Rio Shell (except for Quack Shots who believes that any two piece hull is too dangerous to shoot). Our club has sold over 2000+ Flats with no complaints. Yes... they don't perform well when cold but we are in Florida and thats not an Issue and there are some guns that don't like the steel rim. UEE the manufacturer of Rio and Kemen is one of the largest Ammo manufacturers in the world. They are every bit the size if not larger that the big 3 in this country. I have seen more problems with AA's in the last few years that we have ever seen with Rio/Kemen. Now I recognize that there are some boutique shell assemblers out there like that guy north of Atlanta who have had problems but my experience with Rio/Kemen has been outstanding. Maybe you guys got a bad batch...

TB

9. Jerry944t

Actually I was quite happy with Rios until the last two weeks. I shot 40 flats during the spring and summer with no problems at all.

Then the weather turned colder and the problems started. For myself and several others there were complete misfires as I described. I heard many bloopers on the line as well but that wasn't my concern as I store and transport them in a warm area.

I doubt it's the bad batch since I am still shooting the original batch that performed well. It's very strange since I tried two different triggers, disassembled the gun and checked the firing pins and lubricated with TriFlo.

I suspect the steel in the primer is on the hard side and when exposed to the cold it becomes more problematic.

My reloads with Winchester primers perform flawlessly. Very strange.

10. Sixshooter

Sixshooter TS Member

I have shot Rios for about four years. I shoot them for singles and doubles. For handicap I use Rem Nitros. During this four year period, I have registered close to 100,000 targets. I have had 5 or 6 no fires with the Rios and 8-10 weak fires with the Remingtons. Since the Rios did not fire, I got to reshoot. The Rem failures cost me a couple of targets as the wad cleared the barrel.

I also shoot winter league here in Mn. If the shells come out of the cold, they will absolutely weak fire. If you bring the shells inside for an hour before you go outside to shoot them, they work fine. The Rios are very clean burning and if you take them apart, you will find shot that is very consistant in shape and a little over the desired number of pellets. I would call them a very good, inexpensive shell. I did try their handicap version and did not like them nearly as well as the Rem Nitros. They kicked harsher and stuck in my chamber often. The lite Rios I shoot for singles and doubles do sonetimes stick in my Krieghoff. When this happens, I take a bronze brush in my Moto Tool and clean the chamber. This eliminates the sticking problem for another 5,000 rounds.

Mark Zauhar

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

On another note. The RIO/Kemens that I shoot are cosmetically far superior to the AA's we are getting. Better Crimps.... they just look better. I have 50+flats in inventory so will be shooting them for some time.

TB

12. bt99bill

bt99bill TS Member

I haven't had any problems with Rio's. Even during the winter here in PA. I did have a lot of problems with Gun Clubs last year. I sent some back to Remington for them to inspect. Their answer was that the primers were bad. The anvils in them were to thick and that was why it took 2 hits to set them off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.