1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Having Problems With Cheddite Primers?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AEP, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AEP

AEP Member

Last week I had 5 shells where the primer was hit by the firing pin and no bang.

This week I had two shells that didn't go off, and there was another shooter having the same problem. I think he had 3 shells that didn't go bang. He is shooting a browning. He took my 2 shells and tried to shoot them in his gun. No luck. They still didn't go off.

I loaded 15,000+ Cheddites with no problems.

Just wondering if anyone else had any problems.

Andy

2. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Last year i had some that i was shooting out of my Winchester O/U, it was piercing one out of about 50, and i had heard that Cheddites had thin primers with this problem, now im afraid to use them.

Ive been using nobilesports now as they are the cheapest i can find.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Could be a spring problem also???

Hap

4. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

In the past year or so I have had about 8 - 10 that didn't go off when hit. They look like soft hits on the primer face, but when tried in the other barrel, or other guns, they still don't go off. One or two looked like they were set a smidgen deep, maybe, but not deep enough to cause them to not go off. I'm going to try new springs in the gun, and if I still have the same problem, I will have to rethink using Cheddite primers. For the number of rounds I have loaded and shot, 8-10 isn't a lot(well under 1%), but just having the confidence they will go off EVERY time is one less thing to break my concentration.

5. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I did, and don't use them anymore.....problem solved.

6. msmith

msmith Member

The only problem that I have with Cheddites is that my supplier is out of stock! Mike

7. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

No problem here.

8. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Krieghoff International recommends not using them in K-80s. The pierced primer caps cause their firing pins to crater quickly.

Jon Reitz

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I am on my 4th sleeve of 5000 Cheddites and have had no problems either with failures or pierced primers. My buddy had issues last year with Winchester primers failing to fire. I had bought 1000 CCI primers years ago and had about 5 failures with them so it just may be that all brands have issues from time to time with quality control. Nothing is always perfect.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've used tens of thousands. Not one problem,ever.

11. pakk

pakk Member

one of my shotguns pierce 1 in 25. I've switched to nobel sports as well.

12. oz

oz Active Member

no problems

13. paul7177

paul7177 Member

I had about 15% piercing in my K-80. Not worth saving a few cents on primers and ruining a firing pin.

14. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Back about 6 weeks ago I found out that I had a bad sleeve of them. After 3 or 4 not going off I started looking at them before I use them. If the red seal gone the primer I found out its not going to work. I e-mail Cheddite and sent them a lot of pictures but they never got back with me. I still would use them but I look at every primer first now before loading them.

I got over it but it really throws you off when thing don't work right when your out on the line.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Never a problem with Chedittes in over 100,000 reloads or more . No pearcings either out of 3 guns . I`ve seen badly hit primers go off in other guns . I`ve been told that having a second try at a badly hit FTF hull , some will never go off and then again a few might and I tried other FTF hull in my guns and most have gone off . One primer I will never use would be a Winchester primer . 2 bad batches in 1 year and lost a couple of trophies at a State Shoot due to FTF`s . I can see where some guys will beg off due to misfires but most would be in their guns from what I have realized . I have a few new RGC shells taken from the range that never fired , some once fired and some twice . I was going to send them back to the factory but never quite completed that task . Don`t give up on the Chedittes .

16. dhip

dhip Active Member

One about a month ago,have new jp springs in my BT,primer has small dent and scratch look on it,no hole though.I'll continue using them,however,been thinking about Noble sports,don't have any info on them yet except they are less costly.

Doug H. (pa)

17. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Noble primers will enlarge your primer pockets. They were terrible in cold weather. Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.