1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone having problem w/MEC primer feed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have the new style MEC 200 primer tray. I am and have been using RIO primers
    I got disgusted with it and installed the one w/chain aqnd spring.

At the grand went to mec and they gave me a new feed base, it works intermittently.

What is happening is the primer is not dropping but hanging up at an angle, it is pushed all the to the stop, but not dropping, after tapping multiple times it will finally drop the primer.

The problem seems to be in the primer tray, where the primer is supposed to drop down the tube.

I am s disgusted with the new tray mI am going back to the Tray w/spring and chain, never a problem with it.

It is on a MEC 9000H hydraulic loader, and came with it.

Gary Bryant
    Dtr.longshot

2. dontate

dontate Member

I talked with MEC about the new tray and was given some info that may help you. The plastic slide in the tray needs to be set so it does not bottom out when it slides across to feed the primer into the tube. If the slide travels too far the primer gets pushed past the feed tube and does not drop until the slide starts to return. If this happens the timing causes the primer to drop late and get off center with the turret since the turret is already advancing prior to the primer fully dropping first. Set the primer tray slide so it centers the primer with the center of the feed tube at the maximum downstroke of the loader. Maybe this will solve your problem. I just started using a 9000 and the new tray is much easier to load and has given me less problem than the old chain version. Good luck

3. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I have the exact same issue that Gary describes with my MEC Grabber. I also was given a new base at the Grand but when I got home I discovered it is exactly the same base as I have. It will work if I do not tilt it all the way up but then the primers do not slide down properly but they no longer catch. I was told by MEC to try using some kind of spray wax to make the plastic slicker and make sure it is very clean. I have not tried that yet. I to was debating going back to the old style primer feed.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Your primers are the problem
    Take pledge or something like it and clean the tray. THEN before you use rio or cheditt wipe the heads with a cloth with the polish on the cloth. I have seen the trays look like they were in a dust storm after you dump the primers

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've had little troubles using mine. I use a slight amount of graphite on the tray and as long as it is adjusted right, it works without a hitch. I have three of them in use and two more to install on a few spare presses, No problems if you take the time to set them up right.

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

I've been using MEC presses for many years. I've found with just about everything, it takes some tweaking, bending, etc. to get everything working just right. But once you are there, they are a delight to use. Just a little patience and some work and all will be well. Graphite is your friend.

I don't reload in the winter and this is when I send stuff back to MEC for work. Doesn't happen very often, but they are the best.

cap

7. gp1217

gp1217 TS Member

I had the same problem. When lifting the tray after filling I essentially eliminated the problem by letting the tray just touch the tube and then tightening the star nut. Any pressure must either compress a rubber washer and cause the primers to hang up or change the angle so that it is not a straight drop. Waxing the tray and the tube is helpful also.

8. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I'd say the weakest link on the MEC is the primer feed - it is why I finally bought a Spolar. Now I load uninterrupted for 1,000+ without a primer feed problem.

Still think MEC is the best entry to medium duty loader on the planet.

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The last time I loaded shells, I had the same problem - primers wouldn't drop about every fifth time. I could see that primers weren't sliding down into the slot where they are dispensed to the drop tube, so when the tray was empty, I cleaned it with Pledge and now it drops a primer every time. I've had to do that two or three times a year.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
auto primer feed problem mec 9000
mec 9000 primer feed problem
mec loaders set primer tray youtube
mec old style primer feeder setup
mec primer feed

mec primer feed problems

primer feed
solving primer feed problems mec 9000