1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have knowledge of the Valmet 412 ST O/U?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pointer, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pointer

Pointer TS Member

I've been looking to set up a good doubles gun without huge cost. I have a Valmet 412 ST trap O/U on it's way to me. With what I've read about these I'm excited to have one. I'd like to give it a good once over to assure internals are ok, lube it up etc..but know nothing about this gun type.

I'm looking for anyone that may be able to help me out. I can't seem to locate instruction on it. I understand they may be very like the K 32?..again not sure ! I'd also like to date the gun if possible, but it looks like this company went in every direction after making the Valmet.

Thanks !

Shannon Murphy

2. Crickets

Crickets Member

I have a Owners Manual and Gunsmith Barrel fitting instructions on PDF, PM me with email address and I'll gladly shoot you a copy. Been shooting mine for 25 years now, just upgraded to 32" barrels from 30" this last July. Have some mechanical experience on mine, so I might be able to answer a few question, but the fact is they are build like tanks but balanced like a F16. Not a whole lot to have to work on, other than fitting barrels

3. bambambam

bambambam Member

This is my favorite gun to use for doubles,excellent balance and shoot where I look.Also take it pheasant hunting.

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

They have 2 problems. They break ejectors and ribs come loose. Have someone or yourself cut the ejector springs back a little, solves that problem. If rib does come loose Briley does a fine job of fixing it. Shot my first hundo with one back in the late 80's. 3 rounds at the 16 next one at the 20. Just out on club nite but it counts to me. Went 124 out of 125 with last two rounds at the 20 yard line.

Sold the gun to my brother he shot his first hundred straight with it. It then went to my son and he shot his first hundred with it also. He now has it in his gun cabinet. Don't think he will ever part with it. :)

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00085.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Had it engraveg by Glen Hartliep he did it proud!

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Shannon, They have two problems. They break ejectors and the ribs have a tendency to come loose. If you cut the ejector springs back a little it solves the problem. Rib is just a roll of the dice. Briley did a fine job of fixing it for me.

Shot my first hunderd straight with one. Sold it to my brother a few years later and he shot his first hundred straight with it also. I tried to buy it back numerous times and he wouln't sell it to me. He gave it to my son about 5 years ago and he shot his first hundred straight with it. I had it engraved by Glen Hartliep.

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00077.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

6. Pointer

Pointer TS Member

Bill, that is amazing

7. Crickets

Crickets Member

i believe the rib problems didnt start until the 512 models and the tikka. I may be wrong but I have not heard of any rib problems on the earlier 412s or 412 STs.
    I have heard about the ejectors though.
    CR

8. leftex

leftex Active Member

I have a factory choke wrench and a couple of chokes if anybody has a need.
    Wayne

9. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

For those "machinist challenged", Beretta ejector springs seem to be weaker and easier on the ejectors.

10. shark1

shark1 Member

My father loves his Valmet 412. The early ones do break cocking shoes or cams. The new part for the 512 is an updated part and drops in perfect on the older 412 or 412s. Buy the gun and shoot the day lights out of it. PS, a good gunsmith will have that trigger in the league of a K or P gun. Michael Sharkey, DC

11. vatrap

vatrap Member

Shannon,
    I have 4 of them, and like them all. Parts are easy, contact Russ Gould at he above website, he is the current importer. As others have mentioned have the extractor springs cut about 3 coils and that will keep them from breaking and make saving the hulls a lot easier.

I broke one and Ernest Marlette replaced it, said it was the "hardest extractor he had ever seen".

Crickets,
    I'd like a copy of the 2 manuals you have if you would be kind enough to email them to me

Thanks,
    Mike

12. 682b

682b Member

I, bought mine as a 243 but latter put a 30" 12 ga barrel and then a 29ga barrel. I shot some fine skeet scores with it (313 straight w/ the 20ga). I shot it for many years and just wore it out. The forearm cracked, and the side ribs got lose. I should have bought another one instead I paid a lot of money for Kolars Perazzi and a very nice 682x with a great Fajen stock. I shot them well but never better than the 412. Start looking for another one or my parts gun if you are going to campaign it. Jim

13. Crickets

Crickets Member

Big Boy - PM sent

14. greengael

greengael Member

Hello Gentlemen, long time lurker first time poster.I have the ST Combo and have had the lower barrel ectractor blade, spring plungerrepaired, provided by Russ Gould at Doublegun. He is great to work with.Recently I had an issue with the barrel selector malfunctioning on the top single, it had basically just fallen apart. It was reassembled by the Smith and it's fine. Upon getting it back I was enticed into my first round of doubles and the same experience ocurred with the same cause according to the smith who repaired it.

Two questions if I may. First if you wanted to acquire a parts bag, firing pins springs etc. what would you include? Secondly if you wanted the wood refinished, who would you take it to? P.S. I love how the gun fits and shoots and am starting ATA registered targets in a week or two.I have been cautioned against using this gun for registered competition, any thoughts?Thanks in advance for your kind replies.

15. vatrap

vatrap Member

I have a small parts kit for mine, as stated above I have four and shoot them a lot. I have a set of firing pins, cocking rods and all the springs that go in the receiver. Since I have more than one I don't worry about forend parts since all of mine are interchangeable. I have ordered from Russ and always been satisfied with his service.

If you have any mechanical talent, most of it can be user replaced, I have over 50,000 round through two of mine and so far I have broken one extractor and one cocking rod. The cocking rod I replaced myself and the extractor was fitted by a gunsmith. I have replaced the firing pin springs and lever springs on a couple as a maintenance issue, never had a failure on either one, just replaced them while I had them apart for cleaning.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
firing pin removal valmet 412
is the valet 412 a good gun
show how to clean firing pins on a valment shot gun
valmet 412 barrel disassembly

valmet 412 owners manual

valmet 412 st owners manual
valmet 412s firing pins
valmet 412s manual