1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone have experience with 16 gauge at trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wayno, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayno

wayno TS Member

i was just curious about this. i would guess that shooting loads of an ounce and 1/8 or even an ounce would be very similar to a one ounce load out of a 12 gauge gun.

still, the fact that i have never seen anyone do this at a registered shoot leads me to believe that my assumption is terribly flawed.

any stories or actual experience?

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes I have shot my favorite rooster gun - a vintage M37 Ithaca 16 gauge - at trap and did well with it. Even shot several rounds of doubles with good results. I used 1 Oz Federal game loads and just smoked the targets. Very fun but this isn't my favorite trap gun by any means as it has a lot of drop at the comb and is too light. (kicks a bit).

No reason a 16 won't work for trap but there is a rather limited selection of ammo for this gauge. If you happen to have a nice 16 gauge that needs to get out of the safe then why not take it to the trap club.

3. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I have a model 12 16 ga. set up for trap. Lots of fun to shoot. I've shot 1 oz. and now shooting 3/4 oz. From the 16 it smokes targets with a full choke. From what I've read the 16 ga. with 1 oz. is like the 28 with 3/4. oz which is a square load, about as long as wide so low pellet deformation leading to great patterns. That's been my experience. I do reload.

Mike Pracht.

4. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I don't know of a 16ga in factory trap configuration, so I suppose you'd have to modify one. Not necessarily, of course, but if you're talking registered shooting what would be the motivation to shoot a 16ga, much less a field gun?

My motivation for a 16ga trap gun was to compete my second year in the annual 400-target, 16ga All Around Championship organized by Hal Hare. I competed my first year with my 16ga SxS...for me, zero handicap at skeet and sporting clays, and I won the Argentian flurry event. But I stunk up the trap field.

In preparation for the next one, I restocked a 1969 Rem 1100 with a Wenig New American. Broke a few 25's at trap then 96x100 in a sporting clays tournament with it. I was ready. Then they drastically reduced the 16ga venue and I haven't been back. Bummer. Like my 1916 Ithaca SBT, it's a trap gun when I want to smile, but there's no reason to shoot it for score.

[​IMG]

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Although not registered, I just shot a model 12 of mine which I set up to shoot trap and a 31L Rem. tonite. That guage will break plenty of targets.

We had a gentleman here in Ks that shot registered ( alot) with a 16. He had belgian browning o/u and had Simmons make an unsingle for it.

6. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

I had been shooting trap with a 12 gauge 1100 Trap until the price of lead, primers, cost of competition fees, etc. went over the top so I dropped out of ATA shooting. I was not very good and had to practice a lot more than others did and the cost just got too high. Sold my 1100 and I have switched over to my Citori 16 and shoot recreational trap with it. It is the standard field model so I have added Kick-Eez cheek pads to get the POI up to where I need it. I haven't shot any 25s (I blundered into a few 25s with the 12, on those occasions when my zigs cancelled out my zags) with it yet but lots of 22s and 23s. Also very few smokeballs but, on the other hand, no headaches after shooting four straight rounds. If I went back to shooting registered trap, it would be with the Citori 16. The only problem now is to find a powder to replace 1250, which I have used in all of my 16s almost since it came on the market.

I dimly remember seeing years ago an ad in "Shotgun Sports" magazine for one of those up-scale gun shops that listed a used Perazzi 16 gauge for sale. I wondered at the time if that was a one-of custom gun.

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I shot my very first trap targets too many decades ago with my Ithaca model 37 in 16 gauge at the long gone Horseshoe Lake Trap Club in Chico Ca. I had 27 of my little hand loads turned out with my Herter's hand loader. I broke 24 out of 27 targets from the full choked gun. I could see the old gents sitting in the stands jabbering and pointing at me when I was done.

8. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Started out back in the early 60's with Mod. 12 16 full. Won much money thru the early years. Many hams and turkey also. Still have the mod. 12 and shoot it quite a bit with good results. Even at the back fence. It will stand up to the big guns. Mainly a mind thing. I use 1oz and 7/8 behing Universal powder. Just got to get used to the lighter wait. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.