1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have an opinion on ebook readers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wpairishshot, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

Just wondered if anyone here had an opinion of the ebook readers. I would appreciate knowing if you have one, which brand, do you like it and why?
    Examples of this would be the Amazon Kindle, Barnes and Nobles' Nook, Sony has one and there are several others. Looking for one for someone for Christmas.
    As always thanks.

2. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

i spent a fair amount of time researching them and ultimately chose the NOOK for my 11 yr old bookworm son. I think that the battery life of the kindle is like 3 times as good but i didnt like the keyboard on the kindle. plus a big decision maker for me was the nook was on sale at best buy for $99 from $149. The sony's just appear to be way overpriced.

paul

3. sharf

sharf Member

I bought a Kindle a few weeks ago and really like it. Easy to use and to download materials.

I decided on the Kindle in large part due to favorable reviews I read on other boards.

Steve

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I bought my wife a Kindle a month ago. I chose the Kindle because it was rated highest in every comparison I could find and because the Kindle library is compatible with every reader, PC and other high-tech gadget out there, so down the road, no matter what she used, she wouldn't have to repurchase any books. Reviewers preferred the Kindle's size, screen "texture" and contrast. The majority of them felt the charcoal frame color provided more contrast with the screen, which has a true "paper" look, than the white frame color. She will be using it strictly as a reader, so how the keyboard functions or anything beyond how it works as a reader was of little importance to me.

I got her the 3G version for $187 at Amazon.com although other sources like Best Buy have them priced similarly for the upcoming holiday. But with Amazon, you can get free shipping and may not have to pay sales tax. The WiFi version is $50 cheaper but you have to provide an Internet connection for it, which may not always be possible. The 3G model from Amazon.com comes with free 3G coverage for life, so you can always connect at no charge from anywhere.

She loves it and thinks it beats holding a book's pages open and supporting a book's weight. She's had it for all but a month and just had to recharge the battery for the first time last weekend.

Ed

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The deal for me is the content and the ability to use it where and how you wish. I don't need a $200 reader to read proprietary formated content. I can buy the paperback versions or look for a closeout on a book. It does not need batteries, nor can they turn off your service and render your content useless.

Since there seems to be little in the way of a standardized platform, I would wait until they do that. If I absolutely need it, I would buy whatever has the widest selection of content, most reasonable content costs, usability over a wide range of platforms, and the least amount of Digital Rights Management.

6. BWPBeretta

BWPBeretta TS Member

Last Christmas I bought my wife a Kindle as she reads about 7 books a month. She loves the kindle and she down loads books every couple of days on wifi. Really do not need 3g. Screen is great at Beach and outdoors, but at night or in dark room need a light on or accessory light for Kindle.

When the IPad came out I got one of the first. I really like it and have the Kindle app on it. My wife can read her book on either one as it knows where she left off. At night the screen is superior. The Ipad is also better if you want to read color items such as magazines or newspaper. You can also surf the web. The Ipad is 4 times the price though, but I do not get out my laptop as it is easier to reach for the Ipad which is instantly on.

If reading novels is what you will do mostly I would get a Kindle. If you want to do other things then my vote is IPad. Good luck.

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

Simple... IPAD.... Nothing else compares with the capability of the IPAD.

Tom

8. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

My wife has a Kindle that I bought her for last Christmas. She loves it. She has probably read at least 45 books on it since last Christmas. She would like an Ipad to use for e-mails etc and would be able to use the Kindle books she has with the Kindle for Ipad app.

We have bought two more Kindles for kids for Christmas. I liked the Nook as well but they did not have them out last year. I like the idea of being able to "trade" books on the Nook but so far it has not been needed. My wife's Kindle is 3G as she travels. The kid's are only wifi as they are usually at college or here.

Sonys seemed to be too small. I am interested in the new Galaxy Tab pad. I am using a Mac computer and have been happy since switching over to the dark side. it is the greatest for doing pictures etc. I am leaning for Ipad but will consider going to Samsung if i go Google.

Bob Gibson

9. tedingraham

tedingraham Member

+1 for the Kindle. You can share a book with 6 other Kindles. I like the 3G because you can get a book, newspaper, magazine, or blog most anywhere, don't have to find a wi-fi hotspot.

Ted - Beavercreek, Ohio

10. woodtick2

woodtick2 TS Member

My wife has had a kindle for about a year now and lives it. She reads several books a month and also studies her bible on it. It sure is an attention getter in waiting rooms and the price of downloading books is very cheap. Perhaps the best investment she has made in a long time.

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

My wife reads constantly every spare minute she has. she is reading. So for her Birthday I bought her a Nook. I bought her the 3G model(I don't know if that is correct or not but it works anywhere)every time I turn around she is looking at more books.

She take it to her work place with her and reads it on breaks and lunch. She take it to bed and reads until she get sleepy. She say the for it are about half the cost of the actual price of the book.

Bob Lawless

12. tachyon

tachyon Member

Amazon is charging for what are usually free books from Project Gutenberg. They take away the Gutenberg label and then sell the book. Not illegal but something to consider. They also sold "The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure: A Child-Lover's Code of Conduct " as a Kindle edition until public pressure required them to remove the title. Finally, when they discovered that some of the books they were selling were books that they did not have permission to sell, they not only stopped selling the books they removed the books from the Kindles of people who had bought the book. Ironically, one of the books they deleted was 1984 by George Orwell. Amazon states that you do not "own" the books on your Kindle you just have a license to read them.

13. tedingraham

tedingraham Member

"Amazon is charging for what are usually free books from Project Gutenberg."

Don't buy free Project Gutenberg works from amazon.com, download and install the on the Kindle from Project Gutenberg! Refer to amazon's Kindle discussion forum on their site for information about how to get books from sites like Project Gutenberg. Amazon.com does offer quite a few free classic and historical works on their site.

Ted - Beavercreek, Ohio

14. thrillr89

thrillr89 Member

I have the B&N Nook. I love it. Plenty of stuff to choose from at what I think are fair prices. Also if you have a problem you can go to a retail location and they will help you out in person.
    Dave

15. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

CNet has some good reviews of all the eBook Readers. My wife got a Kindle from her brother a few months ago and loves it. I've been experimenting with the Kindle app on my iPod touch and Blackberry. Yeah, the screens are small. I wasn't so much testing the screen size as "Would I prefer this to actually reading a BOOK?" The answer is maybe - I still like the feel of a book in my hand and turning a real page.

A couple things to think about.

Amazon currently has 65% of the eBook market.

Google is working on their own eBook reader app which will be out soon. Not so much new hardware as the ability, ,with a Gmail account, to read books anywhere you have access to your gmail. More in today's Wall Street Journal.

If you fly a lot, you may not use an eBook reader during take off and landing. For some flights, that can be up to 1 hour.

I'm looking at the iPad for its versatility. As for reading on the beach (a la the commercial) I can't think why I'd be reading if I were on a beach. <:)

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

16. tachyon

tachyon Member

PC World today indicated that the kindle share of the marketplace has dropped to 47% with the iPad jumping 16% in the last month. Since the iPad has a kindle application any kindle book is available on the IPad.

Another consideration is that Amazon hosted wikileaks after they were dropped by their swedish isp (PRQ). Amazon has a very large hosting service and hosts a number of corporate web sites for other companies. They finally agreed to stop hosting wikileaks yesterday. Apparently the growing bad publicity and the focus on their collaboration with wikileaks by Joe Lieberman caused them to decide to stop hosting wikileaks.

17. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Love my NOOK. Bought because a real live person is available if I need help. Local libraries now will lend to Nook. Jack Farrow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.