1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have a good HALIBUT recipe for a gas grill?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by big joe, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big joe

big joe Member

Neighbor fellow works as a fisherman up in Alaska.

He gave me a Halibut steak about the size of a large dinner plate and an inch thick.

Tell me your favorite Halibut recipe for a gas grill BBQ...its an old one with the lava-rocks...

Thanks.....Joe

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Problem with most fish is that it falls through the grill. We either cook it in tinfoil or on a soaked cedar plank. Valerie covers it in mayonnaise with herbs and dill sprinkled on it. If you've not tried this before, the mayonnaise cooks down.

I have not tried one of those fish baskets for grilling, but intend to pick one up and try it this summer.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I got introduced to this on a fishing charter out of Juno AK - pretty easy and just about foolproof. Works best with fresh caught but not bad with previously frozen fish.

Make up this marinade at least 1/2 day before cooking time:

6 TBs vegetable oil
    1/3 cup Soy sauce
    1/2 tsp white pepper
    3 minced cloves garlic
    3 small green oiions chopped fine
    2 tBs sugar

Cut the fish in serving size steaks and put that in a plastic bag with the marinade and put on ice or in the fridge. - flip over a couple of times during the day.

Grill on a hot flame turning the fish just once. This should take about 3 minutes per side. When the fish begins to flake it is done. The oil in the mix keeps the fish from sticking.

Serve with lemon juice or some melted butter if you really want to richen it up.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you decide to bake it the oven. I put a little virgin olive oil in the bottom of the pan, then I mix Hellmans mayonaise with Frenches yellow mustard, cover the fish top and bottom half inch thick on top and bake uncoverd at 360. HMB

5. wackdux

wackdux TS Member

hot grill
    rub with olive oil both sides, cover heavy with blackened seasoning put on oiled aluminum foil. depending on how thick 4-6 minutes per side.

6. lost & Dead

lost & Dead Member

not a grill recipe but a way to cook halibut. cut into 1" by 3" pieces bring water to a boil add 2 table spoons of sugar boil for 3-5 minutes. Dip in garlic butter poor mans lobster.

7. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Why on earth do you guys want to cover up the flavor of halibut with these marinades? Just put it on a well greased grill, medium heat,and flip at about 3 minutes, or when it starts to flake. A little rice with butter, fresh asparagus, a good wine, and you have a meal fit for a king!

8. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Frank-are you going with Pete S.? Best of luck fishing. I will have halibut tonight as I'M salivating after reading these threads. Dennis Mastrolia.

9. big joe

big joe Member

Cooking next week...great ideas....keep them comming

Thanks...Joe

10. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Sweet & South Halibut

3 small packages halibut cut in chunks and deep fried in Panko (Japanese Bread Crumbs)
    1- 16 oz can chunk pineapple
    2 green pepperes
    1-C carrots sliced
    1/2 C brown sugar
    1/2 C vinegar
    Cornstarch to thicken
    Red food coloring

Deep fry Halibut in Panko and put in pan. Cut up carrots and green onions and put on top of halibut. Pour pineapple juice into a pan and put pineapple over halibut. Add to the pineapple juice in pan the vinegar and brown sugar bring to a boil and thicken with cornstarch and water and then add a few drops of food coloring to make it red and pur over halibut and bake until warm.

HALIBUT OLYMPIA (on the Barbeque)

1 lb halibut filet
    1 C mayonnaise
    1/2 C sour cream
    1/4 C chopped onions
    sliced lemons
    croutons

Mix together mayonnaise sour cream and onions. Put croutons on bottom of pan and lay halibut over the top. Spread the mayonnaise mixture over the top of the halibut and lay sliced lemons over the top. Bake at 350 for approx. 20 minutes or until fish flakes with fork.

You can also use 1 C white wine and soak halibut in wine for 1 hour. Drain fish on papeer towel and then roll the haliubt in bread crumbs and cover with the mayonnaise mixture. Then bake for 20 minutes

11. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Aluminum foil on the grill, 4 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 stick of butter melted, add fish and cut vadalia onion on top of fillet, cook on fairly high heat for 3 minutes per side, don't over cook. Fish will continue to cook on it's own after removing. Make sure grill is hot about 300 degrees with the top closed. Serve with butter. We use hash browns and baked beans with it and it is amazing.

Forgot, salt and pepper to your liking and dill salt if you care for extra spice.

Great eating!

Primedust

12. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Have one for Halibut Enchiladas if interested

13. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Grilled Halibut

4 Halibut steaks (or any other firm fish, tuna, shark)
    1 clove garlic minced
    zest of one lemon
    one tablespoon parsley
    1/4 cup olive oil
    salt
    black and red pepper
    Directions:
    In a small bowl combine garlic, lemon zest and parsley. Cover with oil, chill while grill heats to medium temperature
    salt and pepper fish to taste
    Brush fish on both sides generously with oil mixture and grill turning once until fish flakes with fork.
    Sereve pasta, salad, crusty bread and white wine.

14. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Cut the filet into 1"x3" pieces, dip in an egg wash, coat it in instant potato flakes and fry until golden brown, then sprinkle lemon pepper on it and go to town. My neighbor in Palmer AK gave that recipe to me 30 yrs ago and I still use it

Oscar

15. Firewater

Firewater Member

Hey Oscar, wont that fish be cold by the time you get back?

16. STOS

STOS Member

This recipe will feed aprox 50 people.
    [​IMG]

17. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Nice butt!

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Gunna need a prtty big pot of oil to fry that fish - probably feed more like 100.

19. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I'm a pretty poor cook, but give me a frying pan, some butter and salt and pepper and I can make halibut.

20. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Cook halibut until totally black...throw awahy and eat the grill! :) Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to cook halibut on the grill well its a little late