1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone had inguinal hernia surgery?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by docbombay, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

Well, finally taking the plunge next Wednesday and having surgery to repair my inguinal hernia.

I hear the first week after the surgery can be pretty bad.

Anyone out there had the surgery and have any tips to make things go smoother for quicker recovery?

thanks

Doc

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoKrWniZRPAMArrCJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dinguinal%2Bhernia%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dyfp-t-900%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D42&w=560&h=459&imgurl=imaging.cmpmedica.com%2Fshared%2Fzone5%2F0812CFPRICF2.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pediatricsconsultant360.com%2Fcontent%2Fcongenital-complete-inguinal-scrotal-hernia&size=29.7+KB&name=Congenital+Complete+%3Cb%3EInguinal%3C%2Fb%3E-Scrotal+%3Cb%3EHernia+%3C%2Fb%3E%7C+Consultant+for+...&p=inguinal+hernia&oid=10fa1583213e1b032af2c82103736fd6&fr2=&fr=yfp-t-900&tt=Congenital%2BComplete%2B%253Cb%253EInguinal%253C%252Fb%253E-Scrotal%2B%253Cb%253EHernia%2B%253C%252Fb%253E%257C%2BConsultant%2Bfor%2B...&b=31&ni=60&no=42&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=12q367jgc&sigb=136jmkvl0&sigi=11jmd6qu9&.crumb=MqfFvRkbiL5

YIKES! Copy and paste that into your browser, but have a stiff drink in your hand. YIKES

3. redfin

redfin TS Member

i have had 4 hernia ops. what is a inguial hernia? if they do it laproscopicly,
    piece of cake,dont sweat it.you will be back to work in a week.if they cut you like a 4 inch opening,bummer. i recomend jim beam. joseph

4. MAC33

MAC33 TS Member

I had Double in December. What redfin said. Laproscopic is the only way to go.
    First doc wanted to cut me. Got a second opinion,very glad I did. Surgery on Friday, shot buddies on the next Wednesday.
    Mike

5. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

I had a Laproscopic hernia repair when I was a younger. Left the hospital the same day, was out on my boat the next. Probably not the best idea but, at the time I was bullet proof and it didn't hurt bad at all.

6. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Yes, have had two surgeries in the same area. Both the 4 inch/patch variety. I used to body-build and brag about my meat-packing prowess when hunting big game.
    Two surgeries over a period of 8 years were the result.

Patches eventually have to be replaced. Take your medication and STOOL SOFTENERS....NEVER, NEVER, NEVER cough or laugh hard when recuperating and do not eat anything solid for a while (see stool softener)....

Nowadays, laproscopic surgery is a piece of cake to recover from....none of the above applies....

You are lucky you have a choice....

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Why the scope make the surgery itself easier, as you begin to heal and everything tightens up... you'll feel it... take the pain meds and make the first two weeks really light activity,

Jay

8. glock22

glock22 TS Member

Had 3 regular surgerys and no problems. Am 71 had last about 10 yr ago and no problems. GOD is good! Hope every thing goes good!

9. dougp

dougp TS Member

Had mine done at the Sholdice Clinic in Toronto Ontario where patients from all over the world come too .They sew a steel thread to close the hernia . 99.9 % success rate . The good looking nurses , ( all ,of them ) take you onto the estate property to a chip & putting green and chip and putt golf balls give you some pain pills a glass of wine if as well if offered , walk over to the property line and watch women play golf at the only all only women,s members golf club in Canada , It makes your "putter" stand up for sure. The key is to get up and do some walking , take some med,s and don,t lift anything heavy for a couple of weeks plus watch women bend over to putt golf balls

10. DinoB

DinoB Member

As someone else stated: Take stool softners post operatively! I always tell patients Milk of Mag. Watch taking too many pain meds as they will, without a doubt, constipate you, making the situation worse. I do anesthesia for a living so I can say that laproscopy is the way to go for faster recovery with less pain. DO NOT try to push yourself too early! You will know when you are starting to recover! Good luck.

11. JEB

JEB Active Member

Had open style 20 years ago. Went to work for 1/2 day next day and full time after that - desk work. If I remember right the stiches were removed in about two weeks. Very little pain and no meds. In about 4 weeks resumed all activities. Honestly was no big deal.
    JEB

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I lived with one for 50 years then last summer we moved into a new home and I lifted to many times and it got much worse. I had my surgery in Dec and it was a piece of cake. The first three days I had trouble regulating the bowels but that went away. I am now like new. Laproscopic is THE ONLY WAY TO GO.If your doc does not do that procedure find a new doc

13. JCIII

JCIII TS Member

I have had it done laparoscopically in the US, and while it is easier than the full blown surgery, be careful to take the advice of those telling you the recover is simple and you will be bench pressing 400 pounds the next week.
    At 50 years old the first two weeks were delicate and the first 2 months you know you had the procedure. Easy to redo your hernia if you are to aggressive.

Now, my son had a hernia and was a athlete at a University playing soccer. With a little research, I found a doctor in Germany that had a procedure that took 30 minutes. The stay was the night before and the night of, and we were on an airplane to the states the next day, he was running in 10 days and back on the field full speed in 2 weeks.
    When I first heard about it, I called BS until I talked with 2 US doctors who went to Germany to train and observe, and when we showed up to the clinic the line was out the door. Not just athletes, but guys like me.
    My BCBS health insurance paid for the procedure as it was half the cost of the US, and it took a simple incision under the scotum, not invasive at all.

If I need another, that's where I am going.

Good luck,

JCIII

14. DONNE

DONNE Member

Had a double inguinal repaired about 10 yrs ago , the "old fasioned" way. 4" incision on both sides and gore-tex mesh.(note; only men get inguinal hernias. you figure it out) Dr. made the decision easy. Said we could do it as an elective surgery or we could wait until the bowel became strangulated and do emergency surgery where part of the bowel would have to be removed and the bulge repaired! No brainer.

Guys at work had me freaked about the operation, but it wasn't as bad as they said it would be. Can hardly see the incision scars. They "glued" me. The recovery room nurse said "your gonna like that". I said when can I get the he!! outta here? Said as soon as you pee, you can go. Didn't take long. Was on a Thursday AM. Took the drugs and slept, didn't climb any stairs and slept in the recliner. Stopped the drugs Monday & was driving Tuesday. Caught he!! from the Dr. for that. The results far exceed the consequences! You'll be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.