1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone had gout in the wrist ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

Damn getting older sucks. Yesterday I had surgery on my right wrist to repair a torn tendon My shooting had been very limited due to the pain after 50 rounds so my scores have really sucked. Well, the doctor told me the real problem in both wrists is GOUT!!!!.I had lost 20 lbs do not eat lots of red meat also have kidney stones. I actually was some what pleased with this diagnosis because lowering the uric acid, th e cause of gout, will also help decrease some of the kidney stone problems.I am now on meds 3 times a day for the rest of my life and fortunately the meds are very reasonable. In about 2 weeks I can start shooting again and hope to start bring my average back to to a non embarassing level!! Any one else had this problem?

2. Powerhouse

Powerhouse Member

I've lived with gout for years. Mostly in the big toes. Lately, I got it in the elbow. My elbow looked like I had a tennis ball in it. The truth is, I'd rather get it in the elbow than in the toes. At least there was somewhere for the fluid to go. I have Uncle Arthur in both wrists and have had surgery on the right one. It does not get better. If all you have is gout, lowering uric acid is the cure. I take alipurinol daily as a hedge against it.

3. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

Yes, I have had gout in the wrist as well as feet. It is agonizing. I can't take the allopurinal because of an allergy and the colchicine makes me so nauseated I can't function. I have found that a strict no red meat, no alcohol and especially NO SHELLFISH has reduced the frequency and severity of attack. My sympathies....it is a really hateful condition

4. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I think that is the website. I seem to remember something about taking 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water four times a day and cutting way back on added salt because of the baking soda. Dark cherry juice also.

5. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

Tart cherry capsules worked the very BEST for me.

Arnie

6. pdq

pdq Member

I've battled gout for 20+ years. I couldn't take alopurinol as it made my liver functions go through the roof. Colcochine helps, but is hard on the stomach.

My rheumatologist switched me over to a relative new drug called Uloric. Medically is works the same as alopurinol, but without the noted side effects. I've been on it now for 6+ months and all is good.

I also use a gel called Voltaren which is a non-steroidal anti-inflamatory and pain reliever. As opposed to taking a pill, you put the gel where the problem is. WIthin a day I could tell the noticeable difference.

Diet is a big contributor. Until going on Uloric, any form of shellfish was off the list.

Good luck.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.