1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??Anyone had a Kolar barrel done by Wilkinson?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FRedmon, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I have an XF for that unsingle:)

FR

2. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

why would you want to ruin your barrel? there is not a "barrelsmith" in this country that can improve a factoty barrel,it's all hype.

3. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

It would be nice if people who did not know better were smart enough to know it.

4. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Some idiots must speak their mind! Tom Rhoads

5. hairy

hairy TS Member

Call Kolar and ask them what they think about sending it to Wilkerson.

6. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Hairy! Are you being humorous?! How do you think Pgun, Seitz, Lgun or any other would respond to that question?! Tom Rhoads

7. verypoor

verypoor Member

fredmon,let me know what you want for the x f kolar choke.is it a 740 bore?bill1298@comcast.netxxxxx

8. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Richard - Roger Bynum had his Kolar combo done by Tom.

I will PM you his cell phone. He is headed to the Spring shoot.

FR

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Hey hairy,

Who's Wilkerson? LMAO!

RC,

On a side note, try a tighter Comp-N-Choke. I would say something in the .038 or .039 area. Measure your barrel bore size and have them ream one to spec's. I'm not trying to take away from Tom's work, but it would be a bit more cost effective and quicker.

ec90t

10. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

IN PURCHASING MY KOLAR I ASKED KOLAR JEFF MAINLAND>HE ASSURED ME IT WAS NOT NECESSARY
    I APOLOGIZE FOR CAPITALS COMPUTER IS ACTING UP

JOE WOODS ONTARIO

11. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

All guns,K guns, Kolar guns & perazzi,etc-down to the lowly Mossbergs are only as good as the person doing the final inspection & testing----Roger Bynum told me why his gun needed the Wilkinson treatment--not to quote---he said Kolar used softer steel in his barrel & there were the equivalent of speed bumps in the barrel---it would not pattern the way he wanted it to, until it came back from Tom----Phil

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Joe Woods, just click on your "caps lock" by your left little finger and it will shift back to a regular font.

Ps........It isn't your computer....lol

Hauxfan!

13. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

We can debate all day if a barrel is "better" when Wilkinson or Eyster or anyone else works on it. But it is for sure WORTH considerably less (in dollars) once that work is done. Jake

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

chatbrat, What did Kolar say about the "speed bumps" in their soft barrel? Pretending that is true, Kolar surely would have wanted that barrel back.

Kolar Bear, we have been asking for that evidence of improvement here for years. It is never forthcoming. All we ever get is the feel good stuff. It's like religion, requires lots of faith. To the contrary, Neil Winston has provided evidence of no improvement. If the barrel is machined out ot specs then it's just repair work, no magic there.

15. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I don't have a dog in this discussion, I have put out what I was told---let's face it, the people buying high end guns are not fools, they did not get the money to afford their toys unless they were smart, I believe they would rather speed money on shells than pay gunsmiths for unnecessary work, by the time someonegets an upscale gun, they've should have been shooting trap a few years. In trap 101, everyone should be able to know if a gun patterns correctly. Roger was , to the best of my belief a--AA27AA-shooter-he knows his guns-- The Kolar didn't pattern correctly until Tom fixed it---Phil

16. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Richard,

I believe that PerazziBigBore (Mike) gave some great advice. I work in a machine shop doing sales full time (I paint gunstocks, and sell reloading supplies at night). Concentricity is a big issue! In the machine shop where I work, the biggest tolerance we have is + or - .0005. To the average person, that might be alot, or might be a little. Due to who you talk to, you never know. I do believe that certain metals, certain guns, and certain choke tubes pattern differently. In machinist terms (my own opinion) I thought that fixed choke guns patterned better than screw chokes. I bought an Infinity (screw choke gun) from Devault Industries. It is amazing! I have been to their shop, and quality is unreal! They do the best. I also have an older model Perazzi MX8. I had the choice of two when I bought it. Both were older guns imported by Ithaca. One had been altered and had screw chokes installed by aftermarket, the other had virgin barrels. I was going to shoot doubles with the gun, so I called Tom Wilkinson to ask what to buy. He told me the fixed choke gun. I bought it, and sent the barrels to him. I got it back today, choked for doubles. Can't wait to pattern it. Make my story short, I believe that any number of things can and will affect pattern. Most important, if you think the gun is NOT performing the way it should, well spend some $$$ and see what happens. I think that anyone with barrel mod experience could be worth time and the money.
    Matt Woodson

17. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Mike,

Na, I didn't ask Tom about shells. LOL! I will agree with what you said. The above names that are gunmakers, do shoot and pattern. I believe you get the best from them. I am still shooting a Modified choke in my Infinity, and it ink spots targets. Custom gun builders are one thing, mass producers are another.

Matt

18. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Hi Matt, just got fitted by my new Infinity (232), a week ago, how was the learning curve with the Infinity compared to your old gun---did you have to do any tweeking with it out of the box---or just shoot it?----Phil

19. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Phil,

You have a PM. Ditto to what Mike just said!

Matt Woodson

20. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

PerazziBigBore, Everything machined has a tolerance range as you are well aware. If a product exceeds that tolerance it should be scrapped by quality control or covered under warranty. I can understand a person maybe unhappy with that tolerance and wants it improved. If a choke and barrel are not concentric,not to mention the chamber, how does one move a hole without making it worse? I would think a bastard choke would have to be made to correct the problem. If a person is that demanding, they should not be involved in that mass produced quality level in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.